Is This Type Of Cake Possible?

Decorating By Butterpatty Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 7:39pm by CheriN

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 12

My nephew is a huge fan of our local college team. He is asking for little cakes that are like the individual molten chocolate cakes (the ones that ooze chocolate when you cut into them) but he wants the filling to be orange (reference the fan saying of "we bleed big orange"). I bake a good bit but have to admit this one has me stumped. Any ideas? TIA

11 replies
MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 12

I don't know if would work, but what about using white chocolate and orange flavoring?

wendalynn11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalynn11 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 12

Could you dye white chocolate ganache orange and then use that to make the molten cake? Haven't done it but it seems like it would work.

beth2027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth2027 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 12

I'm from TN too. I wanna see these cakes if you can pull it off! icon_biggrin.gif I have no idea how you would do it though. But I can't wait to see the final results. I bleed orange too. icon_cool.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 12

Not sure about doing a molten orange, but you could just bake the cakes and then pipe orange curd into the cooled cakes. That would taste lovely with a chocolate cake and you'd have orange when you cut into them. They just wouldn't be hot and ooey-gooey chocolate. The only other thing I could think of is to make homemade orange colored marshmallows and use that for the center.

CatherineR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatherineR Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:08am
post #6 of 12

Mike from "Amazing Cakes" uses a method of adding pudding (?) in a cake that is an "egg" and the yellow pudding is in the "yolk". He makes it yellow and marks a the point in front of the cake so that it will run when cut into. This technique came out on Sugar Rush show on the Food Network. If you need more help pm because I do have the show saved.

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 3:41am
post #7 of 12

I don't see any reason why you couldn't follow the recipe, use white baking chocolate instead of the dark, color it with some red food coloring, I would thin you would have to use the kind for coloring chocolates. You can pick it up at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. I would think this would work. Good Luck

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:18am
post #8 of 12

There's a method of doing these cakes where you freeze ganache balls and drop it into the cake right before baking. So I think this or one of these techniques would work--just gotta do some testing.

sarahokie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahokie Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 3:11pm
post #9 of 12

I bleed orange too...but not TN orange... OSU orange! Would love to know how these turned out, my family would love these!

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 3:25pm
post #10 of 12

Oh we beed University of Illinois orange! I cant wait to see how these turn out, be sure to post it on here! It sounds delicious!

archanac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
archanac Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 4:03pm
post #11 of 12

This is a recipe for the individual molten lava cake from the Kraft brand website.
http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/molten-chocolate-cakes-69182.aspx

Why not split the recipe in two. In the first half, use two semi-sweet chocolate squares. In the second half use two squares of white chocolate that has been colored orange. After making the two batches of batter (one chocolate and one orange) spoon out a little of the chocolate batter in the custard/muffin cups. Next, dallop some of the orange on top of the chocolate (this will be the center) and then a little bit more of the chocolate on top (envision the chocolate enveloping the orange).

CheriN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheriN Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:39pm
post #12 of 12

I have one more idea to throw out there for you! This recipe makes a peanut butter molten cake... when it is cut into the peanut butter comes oozing out... in this case you could just dye the peanut butter orange! Here is the recipe:
http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipes/best-ever-peanut-butter-chocolate-molten-107581.aspx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%