Posted In "how Do I" With No Help..maybe Here?

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 6:26pm by j-pal

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 3

I have a huge cake to cover in fondant 4 12 X3 cakes stacked. I have figured that the easiet way to cover in fondant is to wrap it around, and since there is a seam on what I am copying Im not worried about that. here is the question. I was told that BC wont be strong enough to hold the fondant and modeling chocolate was suggested. I have never done or used this before, Will it be smooth enough to apply to the cake? and how long do I have to wait to cover with the fondant? Should I use the recipe that I found here on CC?

2 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 3

from what i have read 6-8 inch deep cakes, people will still use BC and fondant. and im sure that on bigger cakes, people have just used fondant as well. i think its more if you are fondandting the underside of a cake you need to think about it. hopefully someone who has actually tried it will get back to you!
xx

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:26pm
post #3 of 3

It's only 12" tall... not sure why it wouldn't work with fondant over bc... I've done it before without any problem... might be the fondant and/or the bc I work with vs. someone elses' experiences.

However, if you're concerned, you could always go with even a half and half modeling chocolate/fondant mix. The modeling chocolate may give the fondant some extra strength.

Good luck - I'd love to know how it turned out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%