Glossy Gumpaste?

Decorating By chilz822 Updated 9 Mar 2009 , 5:46pm by brincess_b

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:51am
post #1 of 15

I'm just starting to experiement with gumpaste characters. I've got a rough (very rough!) first one done. The colors look so flat. I used Wilton paste colrs and also some Americolor gels. I also used a pre-made SatinIce gumpaste. While the colors are pretty, they're just so... matte. How can I shine them up a little so they seem more vibrant?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

14 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:53am
post #2 of 15

Steamicon_smile.gif Just pass them thru steam very quickly. Also you could brush them w/luster dust.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:06am
post #3 of 15

WoWoWoW!
What a great 2for1 deal that was! I now have a nice shiny piece of beginner sculpture AND I also got a nice cup of tea out of the process!

Thank you so much kakeladi, that sure did the trick... and hit the spot!!

icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:22am
post #4 of 15

Is the steam better tan using , piping gel or vodka?

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:34am
post #5 of 15

good to know information !! I too want to start with gumpaste but seem to be scared to try!!

mom2rascals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2rascals Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:34am
post #6 of 15

I've used a clear piping gel before and it worked out fine . . . if I can remember correctly, it remained tacky but I didn't mind. It also was great for adhering accent pieces to it.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:20pm
post #7 of 15

the other way to get more of a shine than with steam is to use confectioners glaze,.
xx

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 11:54am
post #8 of 15

i used crisco last night on a purse cake. It works fine but you have to make sure to get every spot and it takes time on a large cake. I will try the steam but don't know how. Can anyone explain what to use for this and how?

P.S. Do not use the varnish posted here on CC it will ruin your cake, it's gummy and it's thick to spread on. . Not soo good for your cake

brincess_b Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:58pm
post #9 of 15

i dont know about using steaming machines, i've only done small bits. i just set a pan to boil, and pass it through the steam a few times. if you have used lustre dust it sets the colour as well as giving it a shine.
xx

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:43pm
post #10 of 15

Steam 'machines' are a hand held item that is often sold to travelers to steam the wrinkles out of packed clothing.

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:24pm
post #11 of 15

I used pam cooking spray over my cake last night to give it shine ( a tip from a CC member) and it ruined my cake. The fondant became soft...never hardened and started to buldge and buckle. Never happend to me before. Don't use pam to shine your cakes. I am wondering if the steam because it is water will have the same affect? How long do you steam it and has it ever gone soft on you?

brincess_b Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:31pm
post #12 of 15

too much steam will also affect the covering, the trick is to use only a little bit, let it dry up and see how it looks.
xx

Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:51pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

the other way to get more of a shine than with steam is to use confectioners glaze,.
xx

I purchased a bottle of CK brand. I couldn't find any anywhere else. Can you expalain exactly how you use it. I tried mixing gold luster dust in to "paint" some fondant (I saw Bronwen Webber do it on TV) and it was a HUGE mess. It was thick ang gummy, required more than one coat, took FOREVER to dry (granted I live in sauna) and I had to throw away the burshes I used to do it with. I also tried mixing a little of CK confectioners glaze thinner. That evaporated way to quickly and didn't thin it AT ALL. There are no instructions on the bottles. Am I doing something wrong?

Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:55pm
post #14 of 15

I would definately use the luster/pearl dust. I won't ruin your cake and can be applied with a brush or put threw an air brush. You could also choose a color close to the gel color to give it a different look.

brincess_b Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:46pm
post #15 of 15

when i used it (it was mixed with the thinner, so it was 1/4 glaze-3/4 thinner, and 1/2 glaze-1/2 thinner), it was for flowers and leaves, in a class, we dipped the items in the jar. didnt take too long to dry, but it is messy if it drips anywhere.
ive not tried any painting with it though, so im sorry i cant help you more with that.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%