How Many Layers High Before Need Cake Boards?

Decorating By pkinkema Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 6:14am by paulstonia

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 10

I'm making a 10" purse cake to match my granddaughter's party decorations and need some guidance, please. Picture of what the cake will look like is below.

Can I just stack layers that high before sculpting? Or will I need to put a cake board half way up? Seems like a board would would sure mess up the sculpting!

9 replies
pkinkema Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 10

Let's try that attachment again!
LL

Joybeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joybeth Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 10

I don't see why you would need to. I would put a couple dowels in it though.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 10

I'm not really sure how big the purse you are making is actually going to be (10" long?) but here's a picture of a purse cake that I did and the base was started from a 7"X11" sheet cake. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_624803.html This cake was carved from 3 layers of cake and I did put a cake board in between the 2 and 3 layers and I'm glad I did since it did have to travel about 1/2 an hour for delivery!

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 10

I made a shopping bag cake ( in my photos) It was 4 layers and I put a board between layer 2 and 3 just like Mencked. I generally use the same rule for carved cakes that I use for any stascked cake a board every 2 layers for stability.

pkinkema Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks, ladies! Sure am glad you guys are around for those of us who have questions--much better to find out beforehand than as an "uh-oh"!

Makes sense to use cakeboards--otherwise you'd be cutting thru four or five layers!

I'll plan on 3 layers on bottom, cakeboard, then 2 more layers. That should be a nice size cake! (Obviously, I will carve the cake and then go back and insert cakeboards, right?)

Lots of sugar for those little 9 year olds at a slumber party! Glad the party is not at my house!

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 11:15pm
post #7 of 10

This is great info, thanks for asking that question, because I wanted to experiment with it myself. Do you just stack or carve first before putting the boards in? I'm new to carving, sorry if it sounds stupid.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:18pm
post #8 of 10

I'm making a purse cake that's tall like the shopping bag granpam made. How do you keep it from tipping?

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:45am
post #9 of 10

paulstonia I used a dowel in the middle just like you would in a tiered cake. hope I'm not too late to help.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:14am
post #10 of 10

Thanks, not to late I putting it together tomorrow. Wish me luck icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%