Making Wired Flower Petals

Decorating By klutz Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 1:55am by klutz

klutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klutz Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 15

I'm new here, and am sure this answer is somewhere in this huge amount of information somewhere already. Anyway, I am trying to figure out the best way to wire an orchid petal. Do you just sort of pinch the base of the petal around the wire? I read something that said "insert" the wire into the petal, but the petals are thinner than my wire. Any suggestions would be fab. Thanks!! icon_confused.gif

14 replies
terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 15

I have no clue but thought I'd give you a bump. I do have a book and it said to put the wire into the petal as well.

tygre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tygre Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 15

When you are rolling out paste for petals that are wired, don't roll it as thin as usual. Leaving it somewhat thicker will allow you to insert a wire. For instance, for an orchid petal, roll to 1/8 thick, cut petal, then thin the top of the petal by re-rolling just the upper part, vein and ruffle, insert wire and set up to dry in former. Hope this helps....

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 15

I have a product called a celboard (http://www.globalsugarart.com/product_image.php?img=16794_0JXXZCU9_16794_lg.jpg&w=200) that I roll my gumpaste onto. When you roll the gp over the grooves, it makes your gp slightly thicker in that area, specifically allowing for a place to insert your wire. If you have one, great. If not, you may need to roll your petals slightly thicker for the wire.

To insert the wire... Hold your petal between your thumb and index or middle finger so that the base of the petal is just barely showing from between your fingers. Take the wire in your other hand and gently push the wire into the petal. It takes a little practice, but you should be able to feel the wire as it slides into the petal without breaking through. Good luck!

klutz Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 15

That's interesting about the celpad. I've seen them in some of my catalogs, but figured I could do without them. I might have to look into it further. I get the whole rolling the petal thicker, but this one article about Catelya orchids in ACD says to roll the GP translucent. I guess i'll just keep experimenting

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 15

Exactly... the thinner you roll the gumpaste, the more realistic your petals. But as you have just figured out, your wires aren't translucent! So, you either need to roll the gp thicker, or used the celpads. (unless someone else has another way to do it...)

klutz Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 15

I'm so glad i signed on here at CC. I always feel like i'm struggling to figure things out, since i've never really had any cake classes. I crossed this site a couple times in the past, but passed it up then. Thanks for the input!! icon_razz.gif

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:20pm
post #8 of 15

I took a gumpaste flower class from Ruth Rickey in November. She taught us how to twiddle gumpaste on the wire and then roll it onto the petal or you can cut two very thin petals and lay the wire between the two petals and roll
them together. I can take some pictures of a few leftover petals and post if you are interested.

klutz Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:18am
post #9 of 15

thanks, that may help. does it take extra time doing the 2 petal method? I assume you would need to vein both of them, and that seems like extra work.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:59pm
post #10 of 15

I find the cel board to be by far the easiest providing you invest in the good wire that is paper covered. The cloth wire is just too think IMO

You can also, make a sausage with your paste then roll both sides thin, leaving the center thicker, then cut your petal feed your wire then vein and thin the edges.

klutz Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:50pm
post #11 of 15

I didn't realize there was that much difference between the cloth covered wire and the paper covered wire. My ususal supplier doesn't carry the paper covered. I'll have to look into that.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:16pm
post #12 of 15

you can also do your petal, thin as normal, and lie the wire over the back. roll a little sausage fo paste to go over the back of the wire, and press it down. its not as good as using the celboard, but it doesnt take too much longer, and isnt too obvious.
xx

klutz Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 8:33pm
post #13 of 15

ok, i'm looking in my catalog for the celpad, and there's like 3 or 4 types. one has holes in it, then there is the celboard, and cel formers. uugh!! suggestions anyone?

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:35am
post #14 of 15

cel board is a hard board that has groves for wiring flowers and leaves.

Cel pad is a firm foam pad to thin petals on

cel formers are just flower formers in different shapes.

klutz Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:55am
post #15 of 15

ok - i can see that from the picture i have. I somehow got into my head that j-pal said cel pad. Now i'm looking back and seeing she said celboard. thanks for the clarification.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%