Has Anyone Made The Hibiscus-Nectar Cake?

Decorating By Hawkette Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 5:10pm by Chippi

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 5

I just tried the Hibiscus-Nectar Cake from Southern Living's October 1996 issue. A long time ago, someone from CC recommended it. It sounds fabulous. A sour cream cake with coconut, maraschino cherries and pecans with a Cherry Nut filling made from cream cheese.

But mine was awful. I must have done something wrong because I can't imagine anyone recommending anything this bad. It was greasy, tasted like eggs, and stuck in the pan. Has anyone else made this? Did I just do something horribly wrong, or is that really how it comes out?

4 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:57am
post #2 of 5

Found two reviews for that recipe, both rated it 5*****.

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=521173

Did you use bleached or unbleached AP flour? I found that using bleached makes a world of difference in butter and pound cakes. (Highly rated PC recipe made with unbleached was so greasy, I tossed it out. But the same recipe using bleached was heaven on a plate.)

HTH

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 5

Interesting, Jan. I used to always use bleached but recently switched to unbleached because hey, the fewer chemicals in our body, the better. I'll have to give it another try. I would never have thought of that! Thanks!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 7:55am
post #4 of 5

Found that info on Rose Levy Berenbaum's site.

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 5

Sounds fabulous will give this one a try for sure!

Thanks for sharing!

Chippi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%