Having A Hard Time Pricing This Easy Cake. Could Anyone Help

Business By cathie_shinnick Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 5:04pm by cathie_shinnick

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 8

I have been asked to make a Superbowl cake. No biggie; 9 X 15 chocolate, with the whole cake covered in grass(using grass tip) with yard markers. and endzones. (I will probaly use wite or yellow butter creme for those) She wants the center with the Steelers (having a hard time with this, they just beat out Ravens. LOL lOL) logo, that I will make from gumpaste/fondant mix. With all of the big box stores selling cakes, (I dont know their prices, and they wouldnt be as detailed as mine, what do I charge her. She is calling this afternoon is $50.00 too much?

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 8

9x15 is an unusual size to me. Is that two layers?

I'm imagining 30 servings for a one layer @ $2.50 per is about $75 if my math is right, or $2 per is sixty bucks.

60 servings for a two layer @ $2.50 per is $150 if my math is right or $2 per is $120.

Then the emblem should be about ten dollars give or take. The grass and all I would consider to be included in the original price.

So I think fifty dollars is low balling it considerably.

Best wishes to you though, pricing sure isn't easy is it.

cathie_shinnick Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 8

Ok, thanks, she is calling me with the count later so i will base it in that. Thanks again.

cathie_shinnick Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 8

Sorry 11 X 15

-K8memphis Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 8

Well you base the count on the size of cake. If it's an 11x15 that's a certain amount of servings that you determine and then price accordingly.

She might want to cut it in half and serve it to two teenage boys. Agh, no.

So all my suggestions go up because an 11x15 serves more than I quoted for.

Sorry you asked yet?? icon_biggrin.gif

cathie_shinnick Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 8

Oh no! Im still very new at the pricing part. I made an amazing cake(in my photos) for a bridal shower. Its the one wit the shoe on top. That cake took me 15 hours to make all of the decorations. Thats making templated painting and putting togethr. I nowI WAY WAY uderpriced my self on that cake. When It comes to something that takes up so much of your time how do you take that into account?

-K8memphis Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathie_shinnick

Oh no! Im still very new at the pricing part. I made an amazing cake(in my photos) for a bridal shower. Its the one wit the shoe on top. That cake took me 15 hours to make all of the decorations. Thats making templated painting and putting togethr. I nowI WAY WAY uderpriced my self on that cake. When It comes to something that takes up so much of your time how do you take that into account?

Now a lot of that you gotta eat--and you just gotta get faster.

But still go with fair market pricing. Not undercharging anyone. kwim

cathie_shinnick Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 8

I trid o download your price info, but im not very computer savy and am still figuring out how to download it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%