How Do You Make Buttercream Look Smooth?

Decorating By Wildkatzcakes Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 4:06pm by Wildkatzcakes

Wildkatzcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildkatzcakes Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 27

Helpppp....I have taken several classes on Wilton decorating and have a small business just for birthday cakes and showers, however I have never received any pointers or suggestions on how to make the buttercream look so smooth. Can someone please help me???

Wildkat

26 replies
SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 27
tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 27

Until I got Sugarshack's buttercream DVD - http://www.sugaredproductions.com/buttercreamdvd.html (well worth the money, IMO), I used the Melvira Method with great success - http://www.cakecentral.com/article83-quick-easy-smooth-icing-using.html

I still use a combination of the two. Works like a champ! thumbs_up.gif

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 27

Ditto what txcupcake said.

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 27

There are several techniques and I have used each one of them.
There is a tutorial on here on how to do the melvira method with a paint roller..works great, also the viva paper towels work great.

My best investment was getting sugarshacks dvd on smoothing buttercream and that is the technique I use now.

All techniques work great, you just have to fine the one you like best..

Good luck and PRACTICE, PRACTICE....

I still can't get a square cake smooth...them darn corners kill me...

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Cakes

Here's how I like to do it icon_biggrin.gif :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqvL4zhVbE8&feature=channel_page

Me too!

AnotherBrit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherBrit Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 27

What paper and tool are you using there? I've only ever used fondant so am clueless about buttercream. Would love to try.

mlharvell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlharvell Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 27

DEFINITELY invest in Sugarshack's DVDs. WELL worth it!!!

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:05pm
post #9 of 27

Does Sugarshack's technique works with a non-crusting BC like IMBC or SMBC?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:15pm
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlharvell

DEFINITELY invest in Sugarshack's DVDs. WELL worth it!!!

Ditto!!!!

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:17pm
post #11 of 27

Yay! It seems everytime I log on to ask a question, its already being covered, so thanks to Wildkat for starting up this thread.

Thanks for the link to SeriousCakes Youtube videos, Ive watched a couple already! That is what I am trying next. I really stressed over my buttercream on a topsy turvy I did over the weekend and I have a square coming up in March that I hope now will give me no trouble at all. Off to buy some bench scrapers though! I've tried using the Viva method and using my hands, but it makes more sense to scrape it smooth over the paper towel....
Thanks again.... icon_smile.gif

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:30pm
post #12 of 27

I use Viva towels and something called a razor, I bought it at Target but they stopped selling them. I can't use my hands for the smoothing because they're so hot they melt the frosting icon_lol.gif

AnotherBrit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherBrit Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:34pm
post #13 of 27

Thanks for that - will look out for one.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:44pm
post #14 of 27

Like everyone else said before me: Get Sugarshack's DVD on buttercream techniques. Worth every dime!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:57pm
post #15 of 27

You can also use a fondant smoother over the top of a viva paper towel.

Wildkatzcakes Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:08pm
post #16 of 27

Thank you so much for the posts. I have done alot of the cakes over the holidays without the worry of having to smooth...however I have a baby shower coming up that I want to make look smmmmmmoooth, so practice for me I see...ok..here is another ? for the viva paper towel...slightly damp is what I am assuming icon_biggrin.gif and I will look up the youtube video and when the $ comes in the sugarshack dvd sounds like a must for me...Thank you so very much!

WildkatzCakes

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:24pm
post #17 of 27

NO, the viva should be dry. if it gets buttercream on it then you need to get a new clean one out.

cupcakemkr Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:26pm
post #18 of 27

ngfcake, it is for crusting buttercreams. but she does use a warm bench scraper like you do for smbc/imbc - you cannot use viva, melvira's or copy paper on a non-crusting bc.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:30pm
post #19 of 27

Regarding the amount of pressure you need to use with your hand or fondant smoother over the Viva (I use both), start with the same pressure as if you are rubbing a baby's cheeks and adjust from there.

frenchy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frenchy Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:36pm
post #20 of 27

I spray a light mist of water over the cake and use a cake spatula to smooth it. It works very well, just don't get too much water on the cake or the color will run from any decorations you put on the cake. But I let it dry a little before I finish decoration is.

Wildkatzcakes Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:37pm
post #21 of 27

Ok...dry viva got that and will give it a try but what is the smbc/imbc ...I get the bc is buttercream but sm? im? what is that?

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:49pm
post #22 of 27

yay i needed this post too! i too am a fondant decorator but have neen asked to do buttercream, i have aquestion though, why do you ise a tube to put the icing on? wouldn't a spatula be quicker? ther is obviously a reason, so i would love to find out icon_biggrin.gif

kimmybritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmybritt Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:51pm
post #23 of 27

smbc is swiss meringue, imbc is italian meringe butter cream

cupcakemkr Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:56pm
post #24 of 27

adatay - using the "tube" to put icing on give you an even layer of icing to work with, putting it on with the spatula only may give you uneven amounts of icing in certain spots and cause a wavy appearance in the finished product

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:12pm
post #25 of 27

oh ok thanks! thats quite interesting icon_biggrin.gif in aus we don't use butterceam as much (due to the tempreature probably) and most decorators use ganache to fill and cover cakes before covering in fondant and we just spatula the ganach on and smooth, that was why i was wondering about the need for the bag, but i suppose the different consistencies require different methods icon_biggrin.gif i have seen those wide tubes and have always wondered what you would use them for, now i know!! thanks guys thumbs_up.gif

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 11:09am
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Quote:

ngfcake, it is for crusting buttercreams. but she does use a warm bench scraper like you do for smbc/imbc - you cannot use viva, melvira's or copy paper on a non-crusting bc.

Thank you cupcakemkr! thumbs_up.gif

Wildkatzcakes Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:06pm
post #27 of 27

smbc is swiss meringue, imbc is italian meringe butter cream

Thank you....Boy have I got a lot to learn and a long ways to go...icon_biggrin.gif...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%