I Am A Cake Dork!!

Decorating By Twopeasinapod Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 4:53am by eldag0615

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:25am
post #1 of 32

My oldest son is turning 13 and told me he just wanted a plain white cake. I said okay and then went back and said, "No way! You have to come up with something else because I can not bake and decorate just a plain white cake!" So he said okay do what you want but just put a tennis ball and rackets on it. So now he is getting a topsy turvy cake with a 9 inch bottom and a 6 inch top made from sour cream white cake with cream cheese filling. I do not have all the plans for the actual decorations but they will in no means be "plain white". Am I the only one out there that will not let any occasion go by without trying out something new or "making" someone have a cake. My husband said I am officially a cake dork!!! Is there a cure for this or do I just embrace it and go on?!?!?! icon_eek.gif

31 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:53am
post #2 of 32

I see NO problem here icon_lol.gif Cake dorks unite!
I wouldn't do a plain cake either.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:18am
post #3 of 32

WELCOME TO THE GROUP icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
LL

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:31am
post #4 of 32

It's an affliction. I just did a cake for a neighbor (whom I'd never met til now) who found my lost cat. Even though I had barely a few hours to make the thing, I insisted on baking a scratch cake, making scratch icing and scratch caramel filling, and then making a gumpaste cat to put on top with some fondant decorations. I managed to keep it to a minimum but the point is: a plain cake would have sufficed!!! I can't help myself.

Your story reminds me of an old thread around here somewhere where people discuss how hard it was to grit their teeth and buy a supermarket cake because that is what their kid absolutely 100% wanted.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:39am
post #5 of 32

Yeah cake dork it is, there is no such thing as PLAIN. Well atleast not for cakes. The more crap that's in it or on it makes it better in every way! icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 32

LOL. Making a plain cake is like telling an artist to use crayons. It just isn't meant to be!

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 32

Greetings fellow cake dorks! Isn't it great to know that your not the only one. I always ask my DH what kind of cake he wants for his birthday and he always says" a plain chocolate cake". HOW BORING! I've even gone as far as putting chocolate roses on his cake. I know that's not very manly. I couldn't help myself!

ILE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILE Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 32

sorry.....to give you the bad news. there is no cure for this

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 32

I fill right at home in this thread!! Cake Dorks Rock!! I guess I'm lucky, my girls always help me design 3 tiered cakes for them... lol, I love it! But hubby (who is the a dork in his own right, but not about cake) doesn't want a cake at all! Tough, he's getting a Sylvester and Tweety cake from Debbie Brown's Cartoon Cake Book...I've been dying to make a cake from that book. Don't these family members understand us at all???? icon_rolleyes.gif

ceshell - would you possibly share that caramel filling recipe? It sounds wonderful, I love caramel anything!!

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:08pm
post #10 of 32

I just started doing cakes, in the past I did cookies, but I do cakes for everything now! I'm still a novice, but how am I going to get better without lots and lots of practice!?!?!

iluvjay829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvjay829 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:11pm
post #11 of 32

I keep my large Wilton rolling pin in a cozy that my wilton instructor made for me. It's made out of a tube sock with a bow at the top. If you're a cake dork what does that make me? CAKE DORKS FOREVER!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Twopeasinapod Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:17pm
post #12 of 32

Oh, I just love you gals!! You make me feel that I am okay and there is nothing major wrong!! I feel like we all need tshirts that say "Cake Dorks Unite"!! I will post a picture of my son's "plain white" cake as soon as I am finished with it. Thanks for making me feel like I am "normal"?!?! icon_biggrin.gif

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:18pm
post #13 of 32

Well welcome to the happy clan!!! LOL Tell your hubby to just sit back and enjoy the rewards! LOL

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 10:19pm
post #14 of 32

icon_biggrin.gif I too am a cake dork, and proud of it icon_biggrin.gif
That is what my DH calls me as well, especially if I spend two hours browsing CakeCentral while he watches TV.....

My entire family is so used to my cakes, they no every occasion is gonna be cause for one. Actually my kids have started getting two birthday cakes so I can practice more, and no plain ones either. I make one to celebrate at home together, and one for a party that is usually at grandma's house.

They are lucky, I think, to have a cake dork for a mom!

ceshell Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:50am
post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjballinger

ceshell - would you possibly share that caramel filling recipe? It sounds wonderful, I love caramel anything!!

Easy enough, it's actually JodieF's recipe from here on CC thumbs_up.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6851-79-Thick-Caramel-Sauce-or-Filling.html

Watch your cooking temp. The first time I made it I didn't get it out of the pan fast enough, so it continued to cook and was way too firm at room temp (still tasted great but you had to heat it a bit to use it). The one I made last weekend worked out just fine and what didn't end up in the cake, I have been eating all week with a spoon! icon_biggrin.gif

ceshell Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:55am
post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyw321

icon_biggrin.gif I too am a cake dork, and proud of it icon_biggrin.gif
That is what my DH calls me as well, especially if I spend two hours browsing CakeCentral while he watches TV.....

I have had free movies on FiOs for MONTHS and like a fool, never taken advantage of a) watching or b) recording them. My free movies end next week and I finally realized what a fool I've been and forced myself to bust out the recorder. We'll see if I ever watch them though. Being on CC feels more productive, I am actually communicating with real live humans rather than vegging out on the sofa. See? You're a better person for being on CC. icon_cool.gif

cvoges Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvoges Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:10am
post #17 of 32

Embrace your cake dorkiness! I can't imagine giving someone a plain cake, and I also can't imagine someone not wanting to decorate a cake. If everyone knew just how much fun cake decorating truly is, there wouldn't be enough piping bags in the world.

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:17am
post #18 of 32

Hi my name is Kelly and I am a CAKE DORK !

My daughter has put me in "time out" before for spending to much time on the computer looking up cakes.

My husbands birthday is coming up and I asked him what type of cake he wanted and he said he doesn't want a cake......EXCUSE ME???????????

We'll he's getting one. I'm just going to take it to his work so they can enjoy it.

CAKE DORKS UNITE.......MEETINGS ON THURSDAY !!!!!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:21am
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Your story reminds me of an old thread around here somewhere where people discuss how hard it was to grit their teeth and buy a supermarket cake because that is what their kid absolutely 100% wanted.

OMG, it was my niece's b-day and I was planning to 'practice' and put her favorite character on her cake--tinker bell!!--I even started making a gumpaste tinkerbell(never done one)....then I asked her what flavor cake she wanted (I should had kept my mouth shut!) she told me that she really (really!) wanted an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen....my heart sank!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:23am
post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by calynmom

CAKE DORKS UNITE.......MEETINGS ON THURSDAY !!!!!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I'll be there icon_smile.gif

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:24am
post #21 of 32

When people ask me, "How do you do this? How do you manage to make all thes cakes?" I answer by saying, "I was born this way." There is a dork gene you know. I'm glad I have it!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:29am
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twopeasinapod

My oldest son is turning 13 and told me he just wanted a plain white cake. icon_eek.gif

It's not you, Twopeas, it's just that 13-year old boys are in a species all their own!!! When my son turned 13, he left the table after dinner and went to the basement. I yelled down to him that it was time to cut his birthday cake, and he said to just go ahead without him!! Like I said, 13-year old boys are a strange breed.

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:30am
post #23 of 32

Just accept it and it will all be better...lol. My daughter acts as though I can't get on the computer without coming to cc or myspace looking for cakes.

I admit I do spend most of my time doing that, but not all. Sometimes I do hide it though...lol.

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:09am
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjballinger

Easy enough, it's actually JodieF's recipe from here on CC thumbs_up.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6851-79-Thick-Caramel-Sauce-or-Filling.html

Watch your cooking temp. The first time I made it I didn't get it out of the pan fast enough, so it continued to cook and was way too firm at room temp (still tasted great but you had to heat it a bit to use it). The one I made last weekend worked out just fine and what didn't end up in the cake, I have been eating all week with a spoon! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks so much!! I can't wait to try it.
~Jen

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:01pm
post #25 of 32

Ah, I've passed my cake dork gene onto both my kids (13-year old boy and 11-year old girl) they have both had lessons, and I am proud to say that they can decorate pretty darn good!! Needless to say, birthdays around here are planned around the cake theme...guests come in asking where the cake is (and who made it)! icon_rolleyes.gif

Twopeasinapod Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:59am
post #26 of 32

Okay, one "plain white" cake! Yeah, right! I finished my sons cake so I am posting a link to it. It is the first topsy-turvy cake I have ever made. Matter of fact it is the first mutli-layer cake I have ever made. I take my first cake decorating class tomorrow! I have been self taught up to now. Well, the tennis cake made a hit with all his friends and you know 12 and 13 year olds pretty much tell you the truth.

Merry1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merry1227 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:05am
post #27 of 32

I'm that way too! In fact I'm making a topsy turvy cake for a friends shower. So the last three birthdays in my family (last three weeks) have all had topsy turvy cakes. I dont let them say what kind. Only those who pay get to pick. They can choose a flavor, but the rest is up to me.

Twopeasinapod Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:08am
post #28 of 32

Oops, forgot link! I can't figure out how to do link so I am just adding the picture as an attachment!!
LL

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:16am
post #29 of 32

Can I join the dork club? I can't just make a white plain cake either! My neighbor' son and daughter are getting married, yes, one the 31st. and the girl in July, so they are having a BBQ tomorrow and invited their future inlaws, and we are invited also. I can't just get there empty handed! I HAVE to take a cake, so I am taking a 3 leches (milks) cake with bettercreme frosting and glaze and strawberries. Tomorrow will be in the 80's, so this is a cold cake. My sister told me this morning that I am addicted to my laptop, I said: not to my laptop, to CC, she thinks I am crazy.

Twopeasinapod Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:24am
post #30 of 32

We cake dorks are not crazy! We are just teeming over with so many ideas, we have to get some out or we might bust!!!! Every time I get on CC I see something else I want to try out! I feel like a kid in a candy store!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%