How Large Should The Cake Be?

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 1:15pm by cherrycakes

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 5

Akk!! I just got my first wedding cake order!!! They are having 200 guests but will also be serving other desserts besides the cake so they don't need the cake to serve that many. They want a very basic 3 tier. What would be a nice size cake to suggest? Thanks!!

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:24am
post #2 of 5

I suggest 14, 10, 6 rounds. That's about 110-115 servings.
If you want to go larger/closer to the # of guests then do 16, 12, 9, 6.
That's about 185.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:21am
post #3 of 5

Ask them how many servings they want. Because no matter what, when they run out of cake, it's going to be your fault.

Wedding cake is the only food designated "wedding". you dont' have wedding salad or wedding chicken but you DO have wedding cake ... and the only place to get it is at a wedding.

So I dont' care how many desserts they have ... they should have enough cake to feed all of their guests. If they want to cut back, they should cut back on the other desserts.

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:09am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

So I dont' care how many desserts they have ... they should have enough cake to feed all of their guests. If they want to cut back, they should cut back on the other desserts.

I agree. It's traditional to eat the cake and many people who won't bother with cake for any other event or function, will eat a piece of the wedding cake.

That being said, if you really need to stick to 3-tiers you could go with an 8, 12, 16 which will serve about 180. This would be with actually serving the top tier. (Usually if the top tier is larger than 6", I recommend serving it and I'll box up a separate 6" for them to take home and save for their first anniversary.) If you go with square cakes, you'll get more servings...

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:15pm
post #5 of 5

I appreciate your suggestions! Thanks very much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%