Cutting Cake With Center Support?

Decorating By LisaR64 Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 3:04pm by mamacc

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 7

On Food Network Cake Challenges, I often see them cut a hole in the center of several cakes and "thread" them down over a center PVC-type support. When that's done, how do you go about cutting the cakes? Do you leave them on the center support and just cut around it, or do you have to remove them for cutting?

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:43am
post #2 of 7

With those special creations inner support you speak of is a must.
Yes, you do leave that type of support in the cake or it would fall icon_sad.gif
They would just have to cut aorund it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:26am
post #3 of 7

I've never cut a cake that qualified as a FN Challenge cake, but I have cut some cakes (made by other bakeries) that had a center support of some sort. I either pull the support out of the cake or lift the tiers up off of the center support.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:20am
post #4 of 7

What about the multiple smaller support dowels, what's the secret to cutting around those or pulling them out without making a mess?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:25am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

What about the multiple smaller support dowels, what's the secret to cutting around those or pulling them out without making a mess?

YOu just pull them out. Once you start cutting a cake, it's not important to keep it looking "pretty". Just cut it.

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:29am
post #6 of 7

For the smaller doweled cakes I just pull the dowels out and then slice. For the centeral supports I too would just pull the tier up and off and then slice that way the rest of the cake still has it's support in it if it's not going to be used straight away.

I would imagine having to cut round dowels would be a PIA!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:04pm
post #7 of 7

Usually I have to end up cutting around the center support, because there isn't a way to lift off the tiers without ripping apart the cake....like my zombie cake. I actually have a pic of the zombie cake after they started cutting it. You can see how the center support sticks out. There's a cake board mid body to help with cutting and stability.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%