Butter Only? How Do They Do It?

Decorating By dmich Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 12:36am by LaBellaFlor

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 13

Hi all,
I've seen a lot of websites that claim to use only butter (never shortening) in their buttercream. For those of you who only use butter, how do you manage this when you're cake is going to be sitting out awhile or the weather is warm? For myself, I'm imagining a big, sloppy mess or BC that shifts under fondant. I would love to hear your thoughts.

12 replies
stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 13

I use only butter and I don't let my cakes sit out in warm weather. That's the key. In the summer, I keep the cake refrigerated until I deliver (in air conditioning). Also, I'll cover the cake in fondant, Michele Foster's recipe, because that kind can be refrigerated also. I just like how butter can be smoothed and how it tastes compared to shortening. I don't like the idea of eating grease.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 13

I'm all butter but its super rare here to get weather over 85. I also fridge mine until delivery and if its an outdoor reception I insist on fondant.

dreamn900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamn900 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 13

Not even warm weather, just a warm house. I tried all butter to decorate cupcakes and it was a mess. It was tasty icing, but never again. icon_sad.gif

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamn900

Not even warm weather, just a warm house. I tried all butter to decorate cupcakes and it was a mess. It was tasty icing, but never again. icon_sad.gif

I'm very curious about this. How warm is a warm house? I'm just a hobby baker, but I switched to all butter a couple of years ago. While icing a graduation cake, our AC went out and it was 104 outside. It didn't take long for it to hit the high 90s in the house. I quickly finished icing and smoothing and decorating. I put it in the fridge as quickly as possible, but I honestly didn't have much trouble in the 45 minutes the house was too hot.

I live in the land of hot summers, so everyone has AC and keeps it running all the time.

So that is what makes me want to know how warm is warm?

sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 13

I just do cakes for family and friends, but I only use butter. The only time I have had a problem is maybe when I got the icing to thin.Other than that it works fine, and I hardly ever refrigerate.

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 13

I use all butter and never have issues, then again I live in Ireland so it just aint warm enough to do damage.

My house is always at 22C (71F) and I don't put buttercream cakes in the fridge except when waiting for my crumb coat to set up!

I really can't imagine how butter buttercream stands up to the heat in the US as butter does go rancid in warm weather.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:05pm
post #8 of 13

i live where it is hot & humid all year round, between 80F - 100F most of the time.

never had incidents of having them ending up in a mess, yet. then again, i haven't had them out in the hot sun, sitting for hours. but have had them in rooms without a/c, & no mess there.

the most they would get were becoming a bit shiny, but they never melted & the shapes held up well.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:53pm
post #9 of 13

The temp can hit the 90's in June here. I tell my clients that I would love to use all butter and then show them a few pictures of what an all buttercream covered cake can look like when it sits in the heat and humidity. I then educate them re: high ratio shortening and that I have a recipe using 50-50 and let them taste some. Most are amazed what can be done with emulsion flavorings and a good recipe. mimi

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:53pm
post #10 of 13

We use all butter on our cakes here in central Florida. We haven't had any problems. Like the posters have said, we don't put our cakes outside. Temperatures inside are in the 70s.

Paul & Peter

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 11:20pm
post #11 of 13

I have always used all butter-buttercream as I don't care for the taste of shortening or the shortening/butter blends. The bottom line is you CAN NOT display them outside. This should be explained to every client & everybody usually understands. If they ask how come some people are able to have their buttercream cakes outside, I explain to them the only way that is possible is if their buttercream is made out of shortening. If they want to cut it outdoors, just have them keep the cake indoors & then move outside when it's time to serve.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 12:21am
post #12 of 13

I can't stand icing with shortening in it! I use IMBC exclusively and just let everyone know to keep it indoors. I also refridgerate until delivery and never have any problems. Last summer I did use a 50/50 buttercream for an outdoor birthday party in the dead of summer. it was ok, I just prefer all butter.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 12:36am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

I can't stand icing with shortening in it! I use IMBC exclusively and just let everyone know to keep it indoors. I also refridgerate until delivery and never have any problems. Last summer I did use a 50/50 buttercream for an outdoor birthday party in the dead of summer. it was ok, I just prefer all butter.

I hear ya! I only make Swiss or Italian meringue buttercream. I will make a traditional syrup /butter buttercream if asked, but that just taste like flavored butter to me. I LOVE the texture & flavor of meringue buttercreams!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%