Too Cold - Poor Me!!

Baking By Banana0501 Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 1:04pm by maryj

Banana0501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Banana0501 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 10

I know you will all think I'm crazy, but I live in South Florida and it's too cold today! 36 deg at 6AM, now 42 deg outside, the inside of my house is 64 deg. Here's the real issue!

I've just baked off two WASC modified recipes and they have both fallen! Can the temperature do this??

Please help me my northern and central state bakers - I'm working on two wedding cakes for this weekend and just can't say the cakes failed because of the weather! I delivered a cake two days after Hurricane Francis for goodness sake!

9 replies
Banana0501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Banana0501 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana0501

I know you will all think I'm crazy, but I live in South Florida and it's too cold today! 36 deg at 6AM, now 42 deg outside, the inside of my house is 64 deg. Here's the real issue!

I've just baked off two WASC modified recipes and they have both fallen! Can the temperature do this??

Please help me my northern and central state bakers - I'm working on two wedding cakes for this weekend and just can't say the cakes failed because of the weather! I delivered a cake two days after Hurricane Francis for goodness sake!

I've now baked off 5 various recipes and they all have fallen - am I just having a really bad day???? Really surprising because this has NEVER happened before.

Maybe there is someone out there in South Florida that understands how different this is for us.

I'm mixing my batters the same way I always do, using the exact same ingr I always do, baking off at the same temp for the same amount of time that I always do. I've even checked the temp in my oven.

One difference is that my pans are really cold when I grease, flour and parchment them.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 10

Are you preheating the oven? Are you bringing the ingredients to room temp before mixing the cakes? 64 deg is def NOT too cold for baking! I prefer to bake when it's cooler.

Usually if a cake falls, the levening is at fault. Check the dates on your cake mixes and on your baking powder. That could be the culprit.

Hope that helps! I know how frustrated you must be right now!

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 10

hhmmmmm I baked yesterday in extreme south eastern bama and it was wayyyyy cold, and nothing fell... I don't know what the problem could be, but that is strange.

linda2530 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linda2530 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 10

I baked yesterday in North Florida and no problem. I agree about checking dates on everything and check the oven. BRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrr!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:05am
post #6 of 10

How did this turn out for you. It sounds more like your oven might not be working right. Have you checked that out? Do you have a thermometer in the oven? Being 64 F inside your home should not cause the cakes to fall. You probably didn't let them bake until they were done.......not just by time but until you could smell them done.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:51am
post #7 of 10

Sorry - I had to weigh in here. I'm in Canada, and last night the temperature went down to minus 25 degrees celsius, which is maybe around zero degrees fahrenheit. I have to giggle at 64 degrees in your house - I'm lucky if my house gets to that temp with the furnace going and the gas fireplace pumping full out. Sorry - couldn't help myself icon_smile.gif

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:26am
post #8 of 10

I'm in Minnesota and it was -45 last week. BBBbrrrrrr!! I have had no problems baking, so I have to agree with the expiration dates.

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:35am
post #9 of 10

I am with tracy1970 if I was at your house you would be mopping me up off the floor! That temp is anything but cold to me and I would melt with my freckles and all icon_biggrin.gif

But in fairness I don't think the temp outside could affect your cake baking otherwise we wouldn't be able to bake in Ireland or imagine Iceland!!!

Did you leave your batters sitting around for a while before baking? I agree with everyone else check your dates!

maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:04pm
post #10 of 10

NORTHERN Minnesota here. It was -32 degrees here last friday and my house would not warm up. I baked a beautifully level cake that day. It is deffinately not the temp in the house. I was wearing a scarf around my neck as I decorated it. Please hurry spring!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%