Licensure & Bay Sinks, Well Water? :)

Business By AllyCake90 Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 2:49pm by leah_s

AllyCake90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllyCake90 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 10

I have recently been considering opening my own cake business! I am very excited and have been conducting research on my state's policies; home bakeries are allowed in my personal kitchen, with approval by the Health Department. Now, I was considering using a separate kitchen that we have in our guest area, separate from the house.
Here is where I get confused. There is no dishwasher in the separate kitchen, merely your typical kitchen sink. Would I be required to get a bay sink (and what exactly is a bay sink??). Also, we have well water, would that be a problem with the HD or would they simply test it to make sure that it is ok? My primary concern is with the well water...I don't know how the HD feels about it...?
Also, how do you go about obtaining a business license & registering a business name? Do I merely get into contact with my county clerk's office, or is there more to it than that?
Thank you so much for your time!

9 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 10

Each area is different (and I'm not even in the same country as you!!), but I just did my local Health Department's food safety course, and they made quite a big deal about well water. It is absolutely possible to use it for a business, but they will want to test it on a regular basis. There are some real horror stories about well water becoming contaminated from various sources, so that's what they're worried about.

Also, the idea of using a separate kitchen, even if you don't HAVE to (where I am you have no choice if you want to be licenced) is an excellent one. I don't know the term, but I'm guessing a bay sink is one with three compartments.

You should make friends with your local health inspector. I have found mine really helpful. They can answer all your kitchen related questions.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 10

What state are you located?

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 10

in my area, my HD allowed me to have just a normal kitchen sink. However, ask your local department, 'cause they may require you to put in a 3-compartment commercial sink.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 10

Here you need a 3 compartment sink for sure, even if you have a commercial dishwasher, and I think thats what a bay sink is. We used to have well water and we just had to get it tested once a year. Business licensing is all local - here we can do it online and then health dept licensing is in person with an inspection.

AllyCake90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllyCake90 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 10

Thank you all so much!

cakesdivine-I am in VA
I've looked on government pages, but I haven't seen any details about well water in VA.

tonyah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonyah Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 10

I work for the Health Department in Alabama. Definitely call the local HD and ask. Someone should be willing to come out and make you a list of what you would need.

I know here if we have something food related on a well it has to be tested a certain number of times a year. It's only a 15.00 test here.

Call and see if you can get someone to do a walk thru for you.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:09pm
post #8 of 10

I'm not sure if VA will be the same, but my last NC house did have well water and I just had to pay for a test once a year. No one made a huge deal out of it, but I knew I had to keep my testing up to date.

For the sink issue, if they license standard home kitchens, I would think that a standard sink would be acceptable, but I would definitely make some calls!!

Good luck!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:15pm
post #9 of 10

I'm also in VA & you would have to get your water tested 1st & then once a year after that.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:49pm
post #10 of 10

If you do have to get a three compartment sink, look to places like for a drop in style.

Quote by @%username% on %date%