Richs Buttercream

Decorating By Gatorfan01 Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 1:54am by Gatorfan01

Gatorfan01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gatorfan01 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:18pm
post #1 of 12

I am short on time and have the chance to purchase some Richs Buttercream (or is it Bettercream) and was wondering if it's any good.

Thoughts?

11 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:56am
post #2 of 12

I use it all the time for fillings. I have never tried it for icing

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:19am
post #3 of 12

Though I have not used Rich's Bettercreme I have use a similar product - Frostin Pride.
It is soft. You need to beat it just to that certain consistencyicon_smile.gif It is very easy to overbeat it but then it is easy to bring back just by adding more liquidicon_smile.gif
What I didn't like about it was how careful one must be as it never crusts at all; it does not take color well (just to pastel shades); and is too soft to make many decorations with.

bernie631 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bernie631 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:31am
post #4 of 12

I use this product all the time. I have no trouble using it but yes it does not crust. Colors well and you can make it stiff enough to make roses and otyer things. I use it on wedding cake only in the winter icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:44am
post #5 of 12

I use Frostin' Pride too. It's basically the same product different manufacterers. If you need to stiffen it up to make flowers, etc - add cream cheese. It thickens it and doesnt make a huge difference in taste

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:44am
post #6 of 12

It's a whipped topping and you can change the flavors much like buttercream. My family loves it. I like it. I have not had anyone complain about it yet. thumbs_up.gif

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:07am
post #7 of 12

Must check out Melvira's Bettercream Fun!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-601193-.html

I used some over the weekend and colored the frosting blue...I must have added too much coloring because it started to curdle. Had the border color running down the side of the cake...Anyone know more about this? Has happened before with red. This time was Blue.

tweety9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweety9499 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:08am
post #8 of 12

It's really good stuff.... I love it but unfortunately the only way I can purchase it is through a grocery store and they don't sell it to me all the time. Do you know where else I can buy it. I'm in Canada.

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:18am
post #9 of 12

tweety9499...they will sell you it at Sam's club...I think there's is Dawn brand bettercreme

tweety9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweety9499 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:26am
post #10 of 12

ncbert ....Is it the same as the whipped topping?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:49am
post #11 of 12

As I mentioned above, these products do not take coloring very well at all. The more color you add the more the product breaks down into a soupy messicon_sad.gif
You can airbrush them w/o problems to get a deeper color.

Gatorfan01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gatorfan01 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:54am
post #12 of 12

Thanks everyone for the information. I decided not to buy any at this time as I need a crusting icing and I really don't like the "cool whip" type frosting. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%