Aeroplane Crash Wedding Cake

Decorating By Briarview Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 4:55am by mom2rascals

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:49am
post #1 of 24

I have a bride who has requested the following:
- A bride and groom. However we're both pilots and thought it would be quite funny to have a plane 'crashed' into the cake (maybe the top layer) and the bride and groom looking a bit worse for wear from it?
Any suggestions please. Have looked for photos but can't seem to find anything. Thanks

23 replies
GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:19am
post #2 of 24

Gosh, they really want that?...With all the publicity of the planes crashing lately... Well, what about instead perhaps they B&G are on the steps going up into a cool replica of their plane or a fast jet.

'K so here's the crash of the cake--er, plane, sorry:
A plane crashing on the top tier, perhaps a nose-dive. Most planes crash with the nose down, a wheel falling off. Maybe not realistic with the "wear of the crash" but a comical-looking crash instead. With the bride hitting her bouquet over the head of the groom, as he sits dazed & cross-eyed! icon_lol.gif Next to the wheel that fell off! perhaps even the wedding certific looking like it flew off, laying kind of crumpled.

!! icon_lol.gif

Briarview Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:48am
post #3 of 24

Thanks GI. Yes I was a bit dubious about their idea but as they are pilots I see they do see a humourous side to it.

GI Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 24

Is the wedding large enough for a Groom's Cake? Perhaps it could be a Groom's Cake. I see if they have a sense of humor about the pane crashing... well you know, are they planning to fly anywhere right after! icon_lol.gif

(I have this picture of granny over there hiding her gasp of shock behind a white glove afer the wedding.)

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 24

How about focus on "where" it crashed rather than the crash???? Think about a crumpled plane, on an island shore, a rescue message in stones on the sand, groom in tux with ragged legs of pants, torn shirt, bride in cut of gown lounging on a deserted island?

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson6ofus

How about focus on "where" it crashed rather than the crash???? Think about a crumpled plane, on an island shore, a rescue message in stones on the sand, groom in tux with ragged legs of pants, torn shirt, bride in cut of gown lounging on a deserted island?

Good idea! As a wife of a pilot I can't find any humor in it at all.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:05pm
post #7 of 24

I did a nose dive for you!

I've gotta "crash" on you!

----

how about 2 planes on top ---
crashed nose to nose.
tilted so wings on one side rise up -- but due to being broken then also collapse toward each other and touch --- but -- look closely -- they touch so that the shape outlined by the planes and broken wings is a heart.

have them sitting side-by-side on the nose of their respective planes, heads touching.
LL

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 24

Here's a cute one by debbie brown.. maybe give you some ideas?
LL

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:30pm
post #9 of 24

That is so cute! Which one of her books is that from?

Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:41pm
post #10 of 24

Doug: you are so clever...what great ideas!

johnson6ofus Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:33pm
post #11 of 24

You might warn the bride and groom that what they find "cute" may actually be traumatic to others? Can you imagine the horror if guests at that wedding had lost family or friends in 911 incidents?

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I too, find no humor in a plane crash... but to each their own. The Debbie Brown cloud cake is SOOOOO cute, and no trauma. Maybe they thought "crash" because that is all THEY could come up with. ?

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:48pm
post #12 of 24

My first thought too was how tacky, and awful considering the incident that just happened in NY (though thank G-- that had a happy ending).

I definitely agree this is more appropriate as a grooms cake. I like Debbie's idea, and the stranded on a deserted island idea. That doesn't even have to be a crash. It could just be a getaway! With the plane in the back and the bride and groom living it up on this romantic island scene.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:58pm
post #13 of 24

ugh...you did realize she is from New Zealand? I don't think they think about 9/11 that much.
Maybe a plane crashed more at the bottom of the cake and the bride and groom with parachutes at the top.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:01pm
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson6ofus

You might warn the bride and groom that what they find "cute" may actually be traumatic to others? Can you imagine the horror if guests at that wedding had lost family or friends in 911 incidents?

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I too, find no humor in a plane crash... but to each their own. The Debbie Brown cloud cake is SOOOOO cute, and no trauma. Maybe they thought "crash" because that is all THEY could come up with. ?

well, as one who DID loose someone in the 9/11 incident....

I see NO problem....except for people being overly sensitive to "possible" problems when there is no indication that those at the wedding might have a problem.

There comes a point at which we have to let go -- get over it -- move on -- move to the future and stop dwelling in/on the past.

So, yes, my friend was sainted before his time according to ME, but according to God????? well, who am I to take on God and his plan! (arms to short to box w/ God -- heck even to short to read the newspaper!)

this "lest he may, then prevent" type attitude is actually a very bad and illogical one.

after all -- that is according to Shakespeare's rendition of Julius Caesar, exactly what Brutus thought (Act II, SI)...and it got him and Caesar dead!

it's the logic that is based fear, a fear that cripples and prevents action.

A) it's their wedding -- they get what they want and are willing to pay for.

B) it's NOT my province to lecture, censor, reprimand, tsk-tsk, poo-poo, or in any way force my values and views on their desires for their cake --- if it puts my panties in that much of a twist, then I can just politely decline to do it.

face some people DO have a wonderful sense of black humor, and very often, the crowd they associate with does too.

this reminds me of how in theatre we always wish each other: "Break a leg!" and refuse to whistle on stage (very bad joo-joo).

Sort of the flip side of wishing good luck (whew -- not in a theater - so safe for now!)

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:01pm
post #15 of 24

Interesting idea... I like Doug's idea a lot

bizatchgirl Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:16pm
post #16 of 24

You make great points Doug, some of us really are just too sensitive. But what if some of us sensitive folk are in the wedding party too?

Yes, definitely the B&G should get what they want, and no one should impose their tastes on others, but like the PP said, maybe that was just the only thought they had at the time.

If these were my clients (if I actually had a business and had real clients, and not family, sigh), I would just say something like 'Wow, that's so great that you are willing to break the mold and skip the traditional cake.' (hoping to scare bride into thinking about missing out on that cake you know she dreamed of from age 3). Then I would say 'A plane crash just seems so negative, I found several other great ways to incorporate a plane into a cake, what do you think of these?'

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:16pm
post #17 of 24

Here is a cake with with a crashed plane on it. Though it is more of a "James Bond" themed cake, it is still pretty cool, and could serve for some inspiration:

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2008/07/names-wreck-cake-wreck.html

Briarview Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:22pm
post #18 of 24

Yes Doug, I agree with your comments.
It's the old saying "the customer is always right" I do have reservations with the idea but it is the bride and grooms cake and I must respect their wishes.
julzs71 "She" is Briarview and I am from NZ and yes 9/11 did affect us also even though we were not there. My heart was heavy when it happened and as Doug says let go move on get over it. It will always be in the back of our minds but we must go forward.
Thank you all for your comments. Cheers Briarview.

johnson6ofus Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:00am
post #19 of 24

Doug is great..... and I am glad for his attitude. I too (personally) would not be offended. The customer IS always right. However, as a "cake professional" is just think it is right to point it out to those who may have never considered those that may take great offense to it.

I say present mutilpe options, even possible "negative" ones- and possible fall out, and let them choose.

Again, Doug is right as well that they may all appreciate dark humor... but fore warning them that all may not may be a kind professional gesture.

GI Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:21am
post #20 of 24

Doug - wicked drawing of the cake crash, crap, I mean PLANE crash twist. Love the heart idea.
I like how you said what you did 2nd post... Well Said. icon_smile.gif

As for plane on a wedding cake, I really like the plane on a cloud look, even an open-cockpit plane. That picture is not only darling it is romantic and sweet, without being overly "manly" with "metal of a plane-on-a-cake". icon_confused.gif Get what I'm saying.

Good luck with all this! icon_smile.gif

Briarview Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:23am
post #21 of 24

After a long thnk and reading everyones comments this is what I emailed to the bride and groom:

Hi ..........
Having a think about the cake and the plane crash theme. I am having some reservations doing the plane crash theme and thought perhaps we could do something in the line of you both escaping in a plane as below. Still have the cakes stacked though with the plane on top. To me I see the humour in it as you two do but some may find it not so funny. Sorry for bringing this up and wondered what you think. Cheers .......

Bride's comment:
To be honest we never thought about it! We're quite happy to go with your latest suggestion, it's probably a wise idea.

Regards

Feel much happier now and thank you all for your input. Going to do something like the Debbie Brown cake.

bizatchgirl Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:32am
post #22 of 24

Yay! See, they never thought that someone else might not have the same off humor, and never thought about alternative themes to pull the plane theme in with their cake.

I'm glad you both found something that you can work with!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:53am
post #23 of 24

Doug, I totally agree with your comments. Sometimes I wonder how any of us can walk across a room safely with all those egg shells we think we have to avoid stepping on. Especially the egg shells that only we can see.

I think it's a perfectly fine idea to give some alternatives to a bride for similar designs, but I don't think it's my place to disapprove of her brand of humor. It's not my party.

The Debbie Brown cake is priceless, though, and a lot more light hearted than their original idea. It'll be fun to see your pics!

mom2rascals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2rascals Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 4:55am
post #24 of 24

First thing that popped into my head was a double headed plane (cockpit on both sides) Bride on one side of plane trying to head in one direction, Groom on the other attempting to head the opposite . . . after all, this is probably how their marriage will end up any way . . . with both parties trying to take control icon_lol.gif Ha, ha!

Seriously, I really like Doug's idea best though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%