Is This Enough To Cover My Rear End?

Business By banananutmuffin Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 9:14am by Evoir

BitsnBites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BitsnBites Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:28pm
post #31 of 37

I'll put my 2 cents. First of all, I would like to commend you for trying to help. Not many ppl would.

But... If you want to help at a personal level. How would you make sure that they are indeed needy? and not just faking to get a free cake?

Trust me, you will get more than 2 orders a month. How would you handle saying no to the mother who is trying to fund raise to take her terminally ill child to Disneyland? Believe me, the guilt will eat you up.

If you still want to donate cakes and use the press release (which I think is fine), just delete the part that says "If you're having a bake sale with home baked sweets to raise money for someone who needs help, just send me an email, Baker X says. I can usually make you a cake, some cupcakes or some decorated cookies.

"Availability is limited, so it helps to contact Charity Name as soon as your event has a date. I'm only one person, Baker X says, and my cakes are more than just a box mix and canned frosting. They take time.

Or simply take out an add saying something like "Charity Baker interested in helping raise funds for individuals in need. contact (email).

If you want and need (I know how that feels) to help. Go ahead. You can't not do it because people are afraid of lawsuits. That is an american thing I don't get.

Whatever you decide, GOOD LUCK!

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:42pm
post #32 of 37

When I researched the website for our local health department, they didn't even want you to "sell" baked goods at your garage sale! And I've noticed that selling baked goods for charitable causes has ceased to be in front of the local Wal-mart and Target stores!! They've cracked down on the Amish selling baked goods along the highways during tourist season, too!

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:49pm
post #33 of 37

congrats to you for stepping up to want to help people who are helping people.
i would only advise you to check with your local HD and any other angency they refer to, and then the IRS.
once in the clear then go ahead.
wishing you the best of luck!!!

(btw- polekitten: i LOVE your avitar! icon_smile.gif

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:43pm
post #34 of 37

Wait, I missed the "charity name" bit.

Are you planning to register as a charity?

Cause it would be a whooole lot cheaper and easier to just find a licensed kitchen and do it as a legal business.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:18am
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by meegh

But... If you want to help at a personal level, how would you make sure that they are indeed needy? and not just faking to get a free cake?

Trust me, you will get more than 2 orders a month. How would you handle saying no to the mother who is trying to fund raise to take her terminally ill child to Disneyland? Believe me, the guilt will eat you up.

ITA with these statements!
I think your intention is wonderful. I don't think a press release is the best way to go about it.

banananutmuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banananutmuffin Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:47am
post #36 of 37

Thanks for all the advice and opinions!

After all the potential issues you guys have raised, I think the best way may be to just keep my eye on the newspaper listings of local fundraiser bake sales... then just call the organizers and donate my cake like any other home baker would do.

I may also try to do something more "organized," like donate one cake a month to a local woman/kids shelter for the kids' birthdays that month or something.

Thanks again!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:14am
post #37 of 37

If its fetes, local fund-raising stalls and the like, how does this really differ to any other lay person donating baked goods for sale, in the name of fund-raising? I am not in the USA, but here those kinds of suburban/small town/church events are VERY common, and all sorts of people bake and donate items. I think in SOME circles now (not all) people will list the item's ingredients on the packaging, as allergy awareness is increasing. Me - well, I would NOT buy anything from a layperson source UNLESS I knew who the person was and their standards of cleanliness. I would rather donate money and leave the cakes etc for someone else to risk icon_smile.gif

Just my 2 cents!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%