A Conversation With My Neighbor....

Decorating By FairyPoppins Updated 17 Apr 2010 , 3:03am by mamawrobin

FairyPoppins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FairyPoppins Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:49am
post #1 of 71

I thought you ladies may get a chuckle out of this one!

Neighbor - My friends are getting married in Indiana in May but they've been quoted $300 for a wedding cake!

Me - (knowing what's coming next) Wow, that sounds like a good deal.

Neighbor - Really? I think it's extremely expensive for a two tier buttercream cake with pillars for 60 people. Well actually for 100 but that's because they want some leftovers

Me - Well that's only $3 per serving which is very reasonable for a wedding cake.

Neighbor - But it's a simple buttercream cake with raspberry filling. Do you think if they did it without a filling it would be cheaper?

Me - Probably not. You are paying for the expertize and time of the decorator not just the ingredients. You know I pay your handyman husband $28 an hour to work for me because he is skilled and does a good job. Why should women be expected to work for minimum wage?

Neighbor - Yes, I once made a plum pudding for a lady at church and I charged $75. She thought it was too expensive but it took me all day and it was a lot of work. Hmm perhaps we could do something together?

Me - Um, Indiana is a good 5 hours from here and the cake would have to be assembled at the location so I wouldn't be comfortable with that. Perhaps you could do it if it's that simple.

Neighbor - No, I don't know how to do it. Perhaps I'll make cupcakes.

Me - Good idea - cupcakes are a very popular alternative for weddings nowadays.

Neighbor - OK I'll ask the bride if I should do that. Perhaps we'll put pots of frosting and sprinkles at each table and let the guests decorate them themselves.

Me - (imagining ruined table linens)Yes, that sounds lovely!!!!!!!!!

I must add that the groom races porsches at weekends but is notoriously mean with his cash!!

70 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:12am
post #2 of 71

Oh I loved this story! $3 a serving is too high, but a $75 pudding is ok, and her husband making $28 an hour is perfectly fine! But god forbid they pay three bucks for cake! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

by the way, we had lunch at Bob Evans yesterday and my dessert cost only $1 less than my whole meal!!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:17am
post #3 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyPoppins

Neighbor - OK I'll ask the bride if I should do that. Perhaps we'll put pots of frosting and sprinkles at each table and let the guests decorate them themselves.

LOL!!! Then instead of a photographer, they can hand out crayons and construction paper so everyone can draw pictures of the happy couple!!! LOL

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:51am
post #4 of 71

Rezzycakes, that is hilarious!!! What a great story. I'd love to hear how this wedding turns out!

Deanna

Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:05am
post #5 of 71

Rezzycakes LOL!!!!

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:08am
post #6 of 71

[quote="rezzycakes"]

Quote:

LOL!!! Then instead of a photographer, they can hand out crayons and construction paper so everyone can draw pictures of the happy couple!!! LOL

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:33am
post #7 of 71
Quote:

I
and let the guests decorate them themselves.

!!

That reminds me of the joke where the punch line is ... "And my husband sent me to ettiquette lessons, and they taught me that instead of telling people to F*** Off, I should just say "Oh, that's so very nice.""

You truly are practically perfect in every way!!!

Cocoby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cocoby Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:53am
post #8 of 71

Love love love this story! Oh ...and the plum pudding must have had a gold ring inside or something ....to be so expensive! If I were the church lady ...I would have thrown the pudding to her head. Crazy people! hahahahahaha icon_smile.gif

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:07am
post #9 of 71

icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I am laughing so hard I think I pulled a muscle!!! I would love to see the pictures from that wedding!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:21am
post #10 of 71

Sounds like she wants a collaborative effort (ie you doing the wedding cake pro bono??) That is toooo funny!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:36am
post #11 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

Quote:

I
and let the guests decorate them themselves.

!!

That reminds me of the joke where the punch line is ... "And my husband sent me to ettiquette lessons, and they taught me that instead of telling people to F*** Off, I should just say "Oh, that's so very nice.""

You truly are practically perfect in every way!!!

I've heard that joke told by a REAL southern belle! I never EVER expected THAT to come out of her sweet, southern, "elderly" lips!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:05pm
post #12 of 71
Quote:

Hmmm...my niece is getting married in the fall. Maybe I should suggest this to her? It sure sounds...umm...interesting.

Thanks for my laugh of the day!

4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4kids Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:30pm
post #13 of 71

My kids would love that wedding. They would be all about decorating their own cakes..... what a mess!!! They'll spend way more than $300 on clean up. (The mom in me is just imagining what this will look like!)

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:51pm
post #14 of 71

Hilarious all of you!
Mommyle > that joke was the first (and only) time I every heard my mother use the F word. She finished the joke and the whole room was laughing except me as I was still trying to scrape my jaw up off the floor! icon_lol.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:57pm
post #15 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzycakes

Quote:

The bride could even save money by getting a cheap tiara from the toy section of Walmart and gluing netting to it.

On a serious note I think that some people are a few bricks shy of a load.

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:13pm
post #16 of 71

Wow $75 for pudding, but $3 a slice is too much? I want her to share the drugs she's on! Oh wait, maybe she has shared with all the other people who want a designer cake at Wally World pricing. LOL!

Great story! I love the comment about the crayons too!

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:14pm
post #17 of 71

thank y'all
You have brightened my morning!

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:22pm
post #18 of 71

This is soooo funny!. Do you think $300.00 was expensive for the bride and groom or for the neighbor? I am assuming that the neighbor wanted to save the bride some money at the expense of HER neighbor, she does not care about her neighbors time, etc, only to look good on the brides eyes. Maybe it was her wedding present, Fairy Poppins make the cake, she takes it to the wedding reception and both of them just saved a bunch of money! Who cares about Fairy Poppins effort? 75.00 for a pudding? How many servings would that be and how much each? Now HER time and skills are worthy of those 75.00 not the neighbors or the wedding cake decorator. Well, she tried it, I can just imagine the mess at the cake table, and the wedding cake is supposed to be the centerpiece.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:38pm
post #19 of 71

I hope the bride has better sense then your neighbor. Be sure to suggest the crayons to her so she can save them some more money.

Michele01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele01 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:45pm
post #20 of 71

icon_lol.gif so funny

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:46pm
post #21 of 71

Plum pudding is a steamed pudding which is actually cake but steamed rather than baked. They are very tasty but the steamed pudding pan I have is not that large, it would only serve 12 to 15 people at most and I have never seen a larger pan than mine. That would be $5. per serving she charged.

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:52pm
post #22 of 71

Maybe Fairy Poppins should "suggest" to her neighbor to make a bunch of plum pudding cakes instead of the cupcakes, she might even take out one or 2 ingredients so it will be cheaper icon_twisted.gif And she can decorate a special cupcake for the bride and groom special picture icon_lol.gif

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:04pm
post #23 of 71

This is hilarious! The bad part is I could actually see a couple of my in-laws suggesting something like this also! Gotta love'em!

Chippi

Cocoby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cocoby Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:11pm
post #24 of 71

Hey people! I just figured out what is "REALLY" happening to the neighbor. Her true motives, I must say. The "good smart neighbor" wants the bride and groom to save money for the wedding. YEAH SURE! icon_wink.gif The plan is: FairyPoppins does the cake for FREE. And the $300 the bride and groom WERE GOING to expend on the cake... Well! Here's the thing! The smart neighbor will sell them 4 plum puddings at $75 each = $300. In that way ...the $300 will go STRAIGHT to her (GOOD SMART NEIGHBOR) bank account! Ding ding ding! This is so hilarious! I'm going to die laughing! hahahahaahhahaaha! icon_smile.gif

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:22pm
post #25 of 71

That is hilarious!

Stacybugg75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacybugg75 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:28pm
post #26 of 71

OMG! This cracks me up!! Some people have no clue... I find it funny because in my neck of the woods (So Cal.), $3.00 a slice for a buttercream wedding cake is a steal.

I'm just praying that we get to see some pictures from this cupcake & crayon wedding...

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:50pm
post #27 of 71

[quote="FairyPoppins"]

Neighbor - But it's a simple buttercream cake with raspberry filling. Do you think if they did it without a filling it would be cheaper?

quote]

LOL...You should have said..."Actually it would be cheaper if you did it w/o the cake and just kept the filling!!"

Really my kids would love this wedding, we let them decorate their own cupcakes at birthday parties sometimes! Could you imagine her asking the florist? "Maybe...if the bride holds a bouquet of balloons instead of roses you could do it for less!" Oh and they could get a clown instead of a dj!! Priceless!

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:27pm
post #28 of 71

FairyPoppins, pleeease go to this wedding and color us some pictures of it so we can see what they did for the cake!

Deanna

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:22pm
post #29 of 71

This is soooo funny! I would have reccomended the highly skilled creations at Sams Club to her....probably cheaper than the cc route! lol......

creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creations Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:32pm
post #30 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzycakes

Quote:

OMG I NEEDED A GOOD LAUGH THANKS GREAT STORY AND COMEBACKS

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%