Have You Ever Mixed Modeling Chocolate With Fondant . . .

Decorating By dragonflydreams Updated 25 Jan 2009 , 10:45pm by dragonflydreams

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 11

. . . what were the results . . . what recipe did you use . . . how did it handle . . . taste . . . look . . . (any input is appreciated) . . .

I am wanting to make an "old boot" and not really wanting to use just fondant, but don't have time to order Choco Pan . . . soooo, cake buddies . . . what alternatives do I have . . .

looking forward to your brilliant suggestions . . . icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 11

JenniferMI's pearl clay is a mixture of fondant and chocolate -- it handles like a dream and tastes awesome. The recipe is available on her DVD "fun with fondant frills." You can email her if you want to buy it. Other venders sell it too, but offhand I can't think of who.

dragonflydreams Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 11

. . . that would be my preference (to order her DVD) . . . but again . . . I am restricted due to "time" . . . thanx for your suggestion however . . .

ImageImage

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 11

Yes I have. The cigar box in my photos is a the cake I mixed them on. It worked out fine. The taste was good. The texture was a litte softer than just fondant--I used Satin Ice and Colette Peters modeling chocolate recipe-- Overall, I liked it.

dragonflydreams Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 11

. . . is Collette's recipe available . . . and do you recall the quantities you used of fondant vs. modeling chocolate . . .

now off to have a look at your cigar box . . . thanx for your input . . . icon_biggrin.gif

ImageImage

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 11

I have mixed modeling chocolate with fondant with great results. I generally use 1/2 and 1/2 depending on how dark I want the color to be.

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 11

can you airbrush it? I was needing to try the same thing but want to airbrush depth into the color after its done.

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 9:54pm
post #8 of 11

I used it 1/2 and 1/2. The recipe was in Cakes To Dream On

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 11:39pm
post #9 of 11

You can mix fondant with either choc clay or marzipan. Used a 1/2/1/2 mix clay and fondant for my buffalo yesterday und painted black stripes with a paintbrush on the horns (in my pics). If that worked then in theory airbrushing should work as well. if in doubt, try it on a small protion off the cake first. It did pearl a bit, but then I just used a nearly dry brush and it went on beautifully

dragonflydreams Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:10am
post #10 of 11

. . . thanx all . . . for your tips . . . I guess I'll have to give it a go . . . wish me luck . . . icon_biggrin.gif

ImageImage

dragonflydreams Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 10:45pm
post #11 of 11

. . . mission accomplished . . . thanx all for your input . . . and thanx also to jkalman for her PM's and encouragement . . . I used approximately 50/50 and was extremely pleased with the workability, flavor and appearance . . .

ImageImage

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%