Food Network Cake Challenges

Decorating By DancingCakes2008 Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 11:55pm by Jazz2U

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:01pm
post #91 of 151

hey buddy.. i never thought that you were an @$$... i always thought that you were cool.. im kinda like you... go big or go home... its all or nothin...

would love to go to jersey and have a class with you but i am in miami and thats far...

maybe one day...

buddyV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buddyV Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:06am
post #92 of 151

thank you every one for there kind words it means alot to me. in reply to burnt cake comments it is just for show mostly for traveling you all saw how big i make cakes on challenges sometimes we flew with cakes what a pain in the a**. so after my first one i said lets burn the cakes so they would be better for travel and construction and it worked. i would never let anyone eat those cakes but thats what i do for shows. and to ansewr the other question about if i ever thought i should have one the ansewr is yes and i am a big boy and can admit when i do not deserve to win. actually that is sometimes friction between me and kerry if you want to know the truth. i should have one extreme holiday cakes it was a 2 piont difference and not to take anything away from james but i was there live and trust me we should have one. i got alot of crap about that mold. that mold cost me 1000 $ plus it was life size i will be the first one to admit a seashell mold my 3 year old could do but that mold toof about 15 lb of fondant to do and had so many crevisis i molded that thing 20 to 30 times before i got it right it was far from easy like they made it sound ontv . besides the fact that it looked great finished. also wedding cake surprize was another joke i killed that show we did a flawless cake and a great groomscake and was done 2 hours early. the truth about that show is if that was judged i would of killed someone the bride picked that cake and when i gave her my sample plate i was told i affend her i told her i know your from oklahoma and i made you something old fashion mabey something your mom would have baked a vanilla cake and fudge filling now she took it as you are a bunch of hicks and you do not know any better that was the last thing that i meant and was mad at kerry for not sticking up for me even if it came out that way she new that i would never say that and should of stuck up for me the way i stuck up for her on these blogs. the mom of the bride said no matter what he does not win and i did not even place now you tell me not even placei was devestated. now my first challange was holiday cake and the truth was i thought it was holiday wedding cake and thats what we made regardless when we stood waiting for keegan to say who one i knew chris should have one by leaps and bounds before any of us his cake was amazing and if he did not win it would have been b*******. actually he use alot of modling choclate too he is also a crafty sculpter and nice guy . so to be honest i did 7 challenges 2 did not air yet so keep watching i might surprise some of my sceptics . out of the 5 i should have one 2 that is the truth

***Moderator edited*****

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:22am
post #93 of 151

Buddy, I loved your Santa! I think it looked like something from my childhood which was popular then (70's) which WAS a plastic Santa! And your right, something of that magnitude takes skill to do.
And the one with the bride and grooms cake I really thought you should have won. Your cake was stunning and looked like a wedding cake! I think the bride was influenced by the judges opinions too much.
Ive said it before and I will say it again, I would like to see the judges do a Challenge and have some of you frequent challengers be the judge! I think some of them forget what its like to be under pressure (maybe their headband is too tight) and that they should be "pointing out what they did right, not what they've done wrong. Dont punish them for their work" if I can quote the master herself!

buddyV Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:23am
post #94 of 151

i almost forgot for the person who talks about me making mega bucks i am glad you have my bank statements how much is your rent or the 40 emploies i have or my taxes or insurance or are you working at home with none of these exspenses because my mom always told me not to count other peoples money niether should you . you have to understand that where we are in the country dictates the prices i own my building but if i had to rent my space it would cost 25,000 a month that is alot of cakes. you look in nyc see what a store front is to rent and first and foremost i am a bussiness man for the 90 plus hours a week i work and christmas morning when you are opening presents with your kids i am working so yeah i drive a porsche but i deserve and work dam hard for it and have been since i was 12.

and about the butter cream compition i would love it i will not mention names but i know alot of big names who can not pipe for shit i was born and bread on that stuff. and could blow your mind going old school with old piping techniques i would love that it is a dying art even if you ice a cake crappy you could slap fondant 3 inches thick and it wont show but not with butter cream. that is why fondant gets a bad rap because people rollit out too thick and do not refridgerate it if you finish a cake the day before and leave it out what happens it gets dry .

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:33am
post #95 of 151

Lol! I can't pipe for poop! Kudos to those who have the patience!

cake_o_rama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_o_rama Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:34am
post #96 of 151

If you did make mega bucks... you'd deserve it. Your cakes are amazing! You DEFINITELY won the wedding cake challenge. That cake was perfect! Can't wait to see the future challenges. Best of luck!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:38am
post #97 of 151

Haha, that is really interesting about the back story with the bride. I remember that one, and kind of bristled when she told you to go back and work on the cake. I was thinking, um, it's already finished. And it was beautiful! The groom's cake was awesome, too.
As we say on here, sounds like the mom and the bride were both PITA.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:45am
post #98 of 151

How fun would it be for FN to put together a challenge and then take away everything except basics - buttercream, spatula, tips, piping bags, coloring..... now see what you can do, I would be GLUED to the TV to see that. It is amazing what you can do with fondant and gumpaste and molds and airbrushes etc, but I really do think that buttercream is a dying art.

I really would still like to see a competition with the judges as contestants and have the regular contestants judge - I know that the judges can decorate, I'm not saying that they can't, I just think it would be so much fun to watch their different styles!!

btw - Buddy - I thought you were robbed on the Santa!

jhale0622 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhale0622 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:49am
post #99 of 151

Buddy, does it bother you when Duff is in the competition, then all the buzz is about Duff? I always think it would bother all the rest of you because all of you are talented and deserve to be in the competition.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:02am
post #100 of 151

wow! must agree with most everything. I loved the Christmas wedding cake and thought that, yeah, it is wedding like but I would loved to serve that at any party I hosted for the holidays. Santa, you were robbed no doubt.

I would love to see the judges in an all buttercream contest and let some less than pleasant child or bridezilla be the surprise guest. Just everyday stuff in the bakery does not always go as planned, but how exactly does it go when you have everyone picking every detai apart(like you don't know they exist), in front of a live audience and cameras on a timed competition? Plus, who really does move cakes that size all in one piece? If it is hard to manage, do you in real life move it in sections and finish on site?

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:46am
post #101 of 151

Buddy, I can't remember which challenge you were on (I think it might have been the wedding surprise??) and you served a pound cake for the tasting portion of the competition. I swear, my mouth dropped open at the perfect-looking texture of that cake. I can't remember the rest of the competition but I remember that slice of cake. Ever thought of putting out a cookbook?

icon_smile.gif
Deanna

buddyV Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:56am
post #102 of 151

i never competed agianst duff we were at the same competions just his was halloween and it was the day before i did not really talk much to him more like hi goodbye but he was cool. actually i always think my personality is out spoken and i usally get good air time. but the truth is my last compitition there was a girl stevie in it great girl funny but when i tell you wait till you see this one i think it should be all about her the stuff that happened was to die for there is not enough time in a 1 hour show to put all this stuff. i tried to be funny but she is gonna make great tv and i bet my life they are calling her back so watchit . never mind me duff or jesus christ nobody tops stevies performnce on this challange.

as far as kerry competing it would never happen she is not that kind of decorator. she is great amazing but she aint putting together a 3 foot tall cake in 8 hours. never ever ever!!! trust me and agian that is why they call back alot of the same people. and after your first you kinda know what to expect.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:20am
post #103 of 151

welcome buddyv.. I personally would like to say thank you. If it was not for FN and other shows. This is where I learn I am self taught. Everything I have learned to do has been from ones like you who put themselfs out there. I love watching shows, reading articles.

So to you kerry and all the others thank you for the inspiration....

If it was'nt for everyone on CC for help and ideas. Answers to questions.
I don't think I would have done as well as I have with my buisness.

thank you all

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:40am
post #104 of 151

I am not knocking the the whole challenge thing, just people who can't handle the heat, judge. Like you say, some of the judges are great in there own right, but as far as competing, never. The shows really teach a lot of techniques, practical to speed in a kitchen and quick thinking on your feet. I can't wait to see the new challenges and this Stevie. I also agree lessons from you would be great but the distance is an issue, a cookbook who be great. I also remember that slice of cake looking perfectly delicious. So who about it Buddy, a recipe book in the near future?

yvette131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvette131 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 7:37pm
post #105 of 151

[quote="buddyV"] i own my building but if i had to rent my space it would cost 25,000 a month that is alot of cakes.

Buddy, i love that you own your bakery, how do i do that, i would love to buy a bakery upfront instead of renting. how can i go about this and approx. how much are we talking?

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:48pm
post #106 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyV

i almost forgot for the person who talks about me making mega bucks i am glad you have my bank statements how much is your rent or the 40 emploies i have or my taxes or insurance or are you working at home with none of these exspenses because my mom always told me not to count other peoples money niether should you . you have to understand that where we are in the country dictates the prices i own my building but if i had to rent my space it would cost 25,000 a month that is alot of cakes. you look in nyc see what a store front is to rent and first and foremost i am a bussiness man for the 90 plus hours a week i work and christmas morning when you are opening presents with your kids i am working so yeah i drive a porsche but i deserve and work dam hard for it and have been since i was 12.

It appears that I have offeded you, Buddy, with my comment about making "mega bucks". I can't understand why. You are right that I don't see taxes, bills, etc. However, how many cake decorators/bakers are out there that pay 40 employees, pay themselves, pay bakery overhead, and still have enough to buy a luxury car like a porsche? I never said you didn't earn your money like the rest of us or that you didn't work hard for what you get. The porsche, TV shows, and magazine articles all indicate that you are successful. Are you embarrassed about that? Why should you care if I think you make "mega bucks"? If you didn't want people to think that, you shouldn't drive around in a fancy, high dollar car. Besides, I didn't know you drove a porche until you brought it up. Now I'm convinced.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:00pm
post #107 of 151

Good God people! What is going on in CC today? Get over it! Thank god that other thread was closed down due to the snarking and insult hurling and "he said she said" BS.....and you guys make cakes?? Sweet tasting, smile inducing cakes??? Arrrrggh!

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:01pm
post #108 of 151

Whew...I feel better. icon_biggrin.gif You may continue...if you really feel that you need to.

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:11pm
post #109 of 151

Oh forget it...I overreacted to that post, my apologies tastyart, and anyone else. That other thread got my blood going, and I thought I was reading more of that. icon_sad.gif

tastyart Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:14pm
post #110 of 151

I did not intend to offend anyone. I just wanted to let Buddy know that the comment I made about the mega bucks was just an indicator of his success and that he shouldn't be embarrassed if people see him as successful. His response sounded like he didn't want people to think he made money. What's wrong with that?

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:15pm
post #111 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

Oh forget it...I overreacted to that post, my apologies tastyart, and anyone else. That other thread got my blood going, and I thought I was reading more of that. icon_sad.gif

tastyart Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:19pm
post #112 of 151

I'm not miffed. Just trying to be understood. No harm meant.

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:29pm
post #113 of 151

icon_smile.gif No prob... I know that's all you meant now. Happy Cake-ing!

buddyV Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 11:54pm
post #114 of 151

listen i am sorry if it came out that way but i never read a blog in my life and i read alot of negotive stuff about me i was pissed .the problem with cake artist is that the alot of them are starving artist. first and foremost i am a bussiness man before an artist. reason being i have alot of big name friends who refuse to make the same cake twice .to me that is an artist talking not a bussiness man . take the cake i did on the today show that cake took me 12hours to do i charge 3000 for that cake. i have made mabey 25 or 30 times since then it now takes me 3 hours to finish that is a homerun . my succsess is that i can figure things out into a system where it goes fast because time is money. take cake sculptures i once made the empire state building it was a 6000 cake was it a good bussness move . the ansewr is no it was not it took me and 4 people 2 days to do we could have done 25 2000 $ cakes in that time we lost money. but i wanted the challenge so depending on work load or if you want to do it for the challenge then it is ok. and you have to take your lumps i did i remember many years ago when a bride would bring me a picture in a magizine and the person who made it charges 1500 they would expect me to do it for half even if i could have done the same cake or mabey even better so i have been there and i use to do it for them for half. now is a different story . also i guess i get sensetive about certain things because i really worked long and hard to get wher i am. one day i will tell my story.

__Jamie__ Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:02am
post #115 of 151
Quote:

one day i will tell my story.

Can't wait to hear it!

buddyV Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:04am
post #116 of 151

i also forgot alot of cake artist get pissed if you copy there work where i am honered. i many times went out of my way to tell people how i do things and i do share if you ask me a question and i can help i do. i helped alot of big name people and alot of small ones too that is just me.
so you can understand fustration when i think i am being judged or look upon in a certain way. no matter how big i get it is important to me that people know what i am all about and the truth is i am just a good guy. that is the man my father thought me to be

dance2874 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dance2874 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:13am
post #117 of 151

Wow, the more I read of your posts the more honored I feel that you are here. You sound like such a real hardworking honest person. I'd love to meet you someday.

And I dont blame you for feeling defensive at times- I get that way too. I blame it on my Italian genes. I dont think we can help it icon_smile.gif

tastyart Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:14am
post #118 of 151

Buddy, it sounds like we finally inderstand one another. Kudos to your success.

Keep on caking.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:00am
post #119 of 151
Quote:

i also forgot alot of cake artist get pissed if you copy there work where i am honered. i many times went out of my way to tell people how i do things and i do share if you ask me a question and i can help i do. i helped alot of big name people and alot of small ones too that is just me.
so you can understand fustration when i think i am being judged or look upon in a certain way. no matter how big i get it is important to me that people know what i am all about and the truth is i am just a good guy. that is the man my father thought me to be

Amen!! I love it, too, if someone asks to copy a cake of mine. I think it is the highest compliment! I have asked others if I could copy their designs as well, and I've been lucky enough not to have run across any negative answers... yet.

I'm really glad you are able to log on and share your experiences with us.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:50am
post #120 of 151

Ah Buddy,I'm sorry so many of us offended you. I think that is the problem with celebrities, we don't see them as human! If any one of us had thought you would ever in a million years read this forum, we wouldn't have said a thing. And I hope you know 100% of it is jealousy fueled. icon_smile.gif No one is thinking badly of you here for posting your thoughts and you speaking up for yourself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%