Can Any Money Be Made On The Chocolate Covered Oreo's?

Baking By lainalee Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 1:35pm by miss_sweetstory

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 9

I was just checking out the link from another thread on the oreo cookie molds. Thought maybe I would make up some boxes for Valentines Day and Easter. After adding up the costs of supplies, not sure I could recoup the costs and make a profit. Does anyone sell these at the holidays. How do you package them? Singles or the 6 pack boxes that they sell? If so what do you charge, if you don't mind my asking. They look really cute and I am sure they are delisious, can't go wrong with choc or oreo's right, lol?

8 replies
lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 9

Hi,
I was at a specialty botique last week and they were selling them for $4.00 EACH! I almost passed out. There was nothing special about them either, just a small heart pipped on them. I could not believe it. They were made by some chocolate company, single packaged etc.
I made the oreo's this christmas for the first time, didnt use any molds or anything. Just dipped them and let them dry out on wax paper. Did a little design on them, and they looked great.

But Seriousl, $4.00 EACH!!! Am I out of my mind to think that is a reasonable price?

Busybear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Busybear Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 9

There's a bakery close by that charges $1.00 for each individual wrapped dipped oreo with either sprinkles or drizzled chocolate. So with the mold and design that it has, I'd have to say $1.25-$1.50. Besides, if you charged a $1.00 each, I'm sure that you'd have to come out ahead. Just make it to where they either have to purchase 6 (like the mold) or a dozen at a time. After the first order, your mold and one package of oreos is already paid for. Hope this helps.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 9

I figured out that each chocolate covered Oreo costs me about 30 cents to make. That does not include packaging. I've only sold them once, and that was to a neighbor. I made 4 dozen, placed them in cupcake liners, and put them into a cake box. (Can't get a whole lot cheaper for packaging!) Depending on what prices your area will bear, you shouldn't have a problem making a profit on them. With the molds, they are pretty quick and easy to crank out.

lainalee Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:00am
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the responses. Haven't ever seen these in my area, but $4.00, are you kidding me. Hey if they can get it, go for it, but I think I'd be lucky to get $2. ea.
GeminiRJ, I just found your post from the Christmas exchange, thought I saw this somewhere, lol. I was guesstimating the qty of cookies per pkg of oreos (20?) and have no idea how many you can cover with 1lb of chocolate, but with the boxs (that hold 6) and liners I was figureing about $1.50 ea for cost. How do you keep your cost down? TIA

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:14am
post #6 of 9

I could easily see $2-$3 each. These were done by some company and obviously cranked out in the masses. I would pay $2.00 for one easily..I'll have to research the web and see if I can find the name of the company that was making them.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:54pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lainalee

GeminiRJ, I just found your post from the Christmas exchange, thought I saw this somewhere, lol. I was guesstimating the qty of cookies per pkg of oreos (20?) and have no idea how many you can cover with 1lb of chocolate, but with the boxs (that hold 6) and liners I was figureing about $1.50 ea for cost. How do you keep your cost down? TIA

There are 36 (or is it 32?) DoubleStuff Oreos in a package. There are less if you are using the flavored ones, such as cool mint or peanut butter (I think those have only 30...I'm positive the banana split ones had only 24). I can still get them on sale for $3 a package, so a little over 8 cents for the "naked" Oreo. I use Ghirardelli chocolate dipping bars from Sam's, and those sold at Christmas time for just under $7 for 2.5 pounds. You can mold approximately 50 cookies out of that bar, so about 15 cents for the chocolate. (I've picked up more of the bars now that they went on sale for $4 a bar, which will bring down the cost.) The cupcake liners added another 3 cents per Oreo, though I could've gotten the plainer, cheaper ones. When it was all said and done, the cost came in at just under 30 cents each. Keep in mind that the plain DoubleStuffs will be the cheapest per Oreo, with the flavored ones costing more. HTH.

lainalee Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:12pm
post #8 of 9

Oh thank you so much for the break down. I was waaaaay off. Going by your figures and adding the fancy boxes and liners and bow they will only be .49 ea. Now that's do-able. Ok, now I am excited cause I ordered the molds yesterday so I can start playing by the end of the week! Thanks for all your help. icon_smile.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:35pm
post #9 of 9

It all depends on your clientele...

This past weekend I delivered an order for dipped Double Stuf Oreos with v-day chocolate transfers. It was for 12 dozen (packaged by the 1/2 dozen in a 2pc box with a stretch bow loop).

Each cookie came in at .34 cents (without packaging). With packaging each 1/2 dozen costs me $3.54 to make. (Higher overhead than it can be done for, but I purchased only the supplies that I needed and was limited to using retailers that would ship to an APO address using priority mail.)

I charged $8.00 per half dozen. If I had been selling a single package (1/2 dz) I would have priced it at $10.00. In the last three days I have had several more requests for the same product, but have had to turn them down because I can't guarantee that I can get the supplies in enough time. (I can get supplies locally, but would have to increase prices to allow for the exchange rate.)

My advice to you: add the dipped or molded cookies to your portfolio. Determine your costs and prices (including packaging options) so that if a customer wants these you can produce them as a special order. You just might have the right customer come along.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%