Recipe For Chocolate Cake Using A Cake Mix?

Decorating By m1m Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 11:02pm by DsLady614

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:50am
post #1 of 8

Can anyone recommend a chocolate cake recipe that starts with a cake mix and is very chocolatey tasting yet durable?

Thanks!

7 replies
m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:57am
post #2 of 8

Durable enough that you could use it for stacked cakes and possibly carved, 3-D cakes.

Thanks! icon_rolleyes.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:04am
post #3 of 8

Do a search in the recipes section for the durable chocolate cake. I use DH chocolate fudge cake and chocolate fudge pudding and it came out awesome! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:37am
post #4 of 8

If you could make a cake that is 100% Cool Whip, you can stack it ... because it's not the cake that supports the upper tiers ... it's your support system, be it dowels, hidden pillars, SPS, straws, whatever works for you. So ANY cake will work for a stacked (or pillared) cake.

I haven't carved a cake yet, so I can't address that part of it for you.

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 8

I love the darn good chocolate cake recipe on here! It tastes great and will work for carving (leave out choc. chips if carving!)

HTH

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:38am
post #6 of 8

BC or DH choc cake mix of your choice (my fav are dark choc, devil's food, and butter recipe fudge)
double the oil called for on the box's directions
1 cup water
number of eggs called for on the box's directions + 1
1 small (4 serving size) package chocolate or devil's food flavor instant pudding mix (not sugar free)

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:49am
post #7 of 8

Here's a thread that has a link to EVERY doctored cake mix recipe on this site (and then some...):

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-614378-.html

HTH

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:02pm
post #8 of 8

Kakeladi's *original* WASC recipe using chocolate cake mix is YUMMO!!! Instead of just flour I use 2/3c cocoa and 1/3c flour. Then just vanilla instead of vanilla and almond. Seriously, just that easy. Its chocolatey, its moist, and several of friends will push each other over for it... hubby is in there too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%