Cake Dummy Covered With Fondant

Decorating By jguilbeau Updated 20 Jan 2009 , 4:13pm by jguilbeau

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 12:04am
post #1 of 7

I want to practice covering a large cake on a dummy cake. I have a few questions, hopefully you pro's can help me with.

1. Do I cover the dummy first with anything, I want to be able to use it again?
2. Can I keep reusing the same piece of fondant, to practice over & over with?

Thanks!

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 12:53am
post #2 of 7

Just mist your styro w/water. Yes, the fondant will come off in big hunks and you can keep using it over & over.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 1:08am
post #3 of 7

I cover the cake dummy with piping gel first. I don't reuse the fondant though -- I buy the Wilton fondant with coupons to use on the dummies.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 1:11am
post #4 of 7

If you want to re-use your fondant I would rub your dummy down with some crisco rather than misting with water. The water will make your fondant sticky and hard to handle and the crisco will not do that.

I cover dummies in fondant allt he time and I simply rub with crisco and apply the fondant. The fondant sticks to the crisco enough to stay on the dummy and then when you want to take it off it comes off very easily.. much easier than if you use water or corn syrup.

sharlene_marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharlene_marie Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 1:11am
post #5 of 7

I tried covering my Styrofoam dummy with Wilton fondant and it didn't hold. Was going to use this in class for teaching instead of baking a cake.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 1:12am
post #6 of 7

How do you mean it didn't hold? Did it tear? If that's the case simply buff the sharp edge off with a nail file (unused) and that will stop the tearing. If it kept coming off the dummy then rub some crisco on it and it will stick to that. icon_smile.gif

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:13pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%