Mr Men Cake......debbie Brown

Decorating By cakebaker1978 Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 10:07pm by terrylee

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 10

Hi CC...

Well, leave it to my daughter to change her mind a week before her birthday! haha She has spotted Debbie Brown's Little Miss cake. I do have a couple Debbie Brown books(LOVE her!) but I do not have the one with this cake in it! Now, they don't just have her books at the local chapters I have to order them in and it takes a couple of weeks. Does anyone have the lovable Character book with the little miss cake in it and can help me with it? I really need the construction of the cake itself and any other tips or tricks used in the book.....what pans did she use? Any help would be wonderful!! Thank you a head of time!!! thumbs_up.gif
LL

9 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 10

basic idea:

two tiers of same size stacked

then one tier carved that's a bit bigger for the roof

----
easy way out.

sheet cake split in 4ths for the main body

so a 12x18 would be 4 - 6x9 pieces

then would need a 11x15 cut in half for top to get 2 11x7.5 pieces

--OR--

could do a 9x13 in 4ths -- 4 - 4.5x6.5 pieces for main body

and then a 9x13 split in half 9x6.5 for top

-----

will need a cake board under the roof....just like in any multi-tier cake.

thick coat of BC on room to be able to soften edges easily.

then lots and lots of detailing and figure making (oh the chimney is just a little ol block of fondant)

base appears to be made in shape of petal pan. I'd use a petal pan and trace shape onto a 1/2 or even 1in thick piece of styrofoam that has been backed top and bottom w/ cakeboards -- glue whole thing together for greatest strength (homemade foamcore!)

HTH
LL

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 10

Way cool!

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 10

I have this book. The cake is a 12inch square The roof pieces are 2(6"x5") the house peices are 3(4"x5") PM me if u need any help.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 10

This photo of the Mr Men cake was just recently done by niknipscakes and she did a really awesome job! maybe you could PM her and ask her how she did it

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1302461

cakebaker1978 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:37am
post #6 of 10

thank you so much CC! I did pm niknipscakes and she is giving me a step by step instruction! What a Gal! I love CC! That just made my day!
Thank you Doug for the detailed instructions you gave me.....I have never really done a cake that needed dowels and boards etc so it's a good thing you mentioned it! AND thanks revel, I will pm you if I need any help! Thanks for everyone who posted! I appreciate your time and help! thumbs_up.gif

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 1:51am
post #7 of 10

awesome! im glad she is able to help you. i can't wait to see how it turns out icon_smile.gif don't forget to post pics thumbs_up.gif

niknipscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niknipscakes Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:14pm
post #8 of 10

HI thx for all your nice comments about my version of Debbie Brown's Mr Men cake. I will do what I can to help but I must admit all I had to go on was a picture that I downloaded from Debbie's site. I started cake decorating college last Sept having never done any cakes before. This cake was my 1st novelty cake. I loved making it but was hard work just working from a picture with no instructions,nevermind starting small and working upwards, I just seem to jump straight in to the hard stuff. I took photos as I went along for my portfolio, these I will forward to cakebaker to help her. I only joined here at the wk and the site is fab and ppl on here are so helpful.
LL

cakebaker1978 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 9:56pm
post #9 of 10

Well I am all finished! What a crazy cake! It took me like 2-3 days! BUT totally worth the smile on my Daughter's face! Thanks for everyone's help!! I appreciate it! Here's a pic!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1305153

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 10:07pm
post #10 of 10

Your cake is adorable....excellent job......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%