Gum Paste Palm Tree Help!

Decorating By StaceyCakes75 Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 4:07pm by all4cake

StaceyCakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyCakes75 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 5

HELP! I am made a surf cake for later today and I made the palm trees 3 days ago out of gum paste and the palm fronds are still not hard. If I try to attach them they just droop down. I was hoping they were be hard by now icon_sad.gif

Does anyone have any tricks to make them harden up by 4 pm today???

Should I have made them even earlier?

Thanks for any suggestions icon_smile.gif

4 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 5

I wish I knew how to help you.

The only time I've had drying issues was when I used that canned gumpaste mix...some of those items, made in December, still are limp---in color and physically.

These CCers have used various ways to speed drying fondant...

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-592664-speeding.html+drying

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:07am
post #4 of 5

Gosh! How thick were they? Oh duh....I just read the cake was for today....Hopefully it all worked out for you. My gum paste stuff always seems to dry too fast!

all4cake Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 5

I know the poinsettias that I attempted to make with the canned mix were rolled out thin. I couldn't roll it out as thin as the Satin Ice gp or it would tear. When I first made it...it was like Floam. Not knowing how it was supposed to be before it rested, wrapped it up as directed and set it aside. The next morning it was goop. So, I kneaded in ps...oodles of it (for the amount of gp I was making anyway)and still goop. I think the 'magic' ingredient was missing from this can.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%