Transferring Fondant Tiers!

Decorating By dmich Updated 18 Jan 2009 , 10:13pm by leah_s

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 9

I've seen so many beautiful fondant tiered cakes on this site and wondered how all of you manage to stack your tiers without messing up your fondant, particularly the bottom edge. Do you have a cardboard round under each layer? Do you use a spatula to transfer? Any help would be appreciated.

8 replies
Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 9

I've used a spatula on the few I've done. I've seen where people have left their dowels, straws, etc. sticking up enough that they could set the tier on them and let the weight of the cake push them all the way down also.

Did you mean use a cake board underneath the same way you might when torting a cake, or stacking layers? I would think that would be a recipe for disaster; I'd be scared to death it would slip too far and mess up the cake underneath, or worse yet, slide completely off!

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 9

Oh, and yes, you need something underneath each cake tier, whether it's cardboard, foamcore, etc.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 9

You always need a cardboard when you are stacking cakes. But for transfering them I use a spatula to lift, put the palm of my hand underneath, then when I am putting it down, do one side first, then take my hand away while holding with the spatula and then position and take the spatula away. You can smooth it back again if you touched it...
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 9

Edna, you make it sound so easy (sigh). I guess I just need to keep practicing.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 9

It's scary at first, I wont lie to you, but the more you do it the easier it gets.
Edna icon_smile.gif

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 9

I usually save a few decorations aside, like flowers or dots, or even the ribbon for that layer. I add it on after I've stacked. That way I can use it to hide any impressions I left in the fondant.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 9

I'm with Edna, thats exactly the way you do it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 10:13pm
post #9 of 9

Since I use SPS I *slide* the tier into place. Easy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%