Bye Bye Satin Ice... Well Kinda. :)

Decorating By slopokesgirl Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 7:15pm by gscout73

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 11:41pm
post #31 of 55

Getus you should try Dontz' white chocolate fondant I highly recommend it; it's super white and super yummy. thumbs_up.gif

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 11:50pm
post #32 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

I love Michelle Foster's fondant. For someone that mostly hobby bakes, like me, it's great! But when it comes to black or red I buy . I would like someone to tell me how to get homemade fondant that dark without changing the consistency.

I do the exact same thing with the black & red! I love Michelle's fondant so much, I can't see myself going all Satin Ice any time soon unless I'm suddenly making a ton of cakes and can't keep up making it! icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 1:07am
post #33 of 55

I just tried Michele Foster's fondant again a few weeks ago and I still can't get the consistency right, darn it! I was determined to make it work and it just didn't. Plus, the stuff is so good and moist that when I left a piece sit out for a few days to see how fast it would dry (because I wanted to use it on cookies and it needs to harden to package), it took like 5 or 6 days to get hard and that just won't work for my cookies. Darn. I was so looking forward to making my own. Until then, I will buy my Satin Ice from either IntoTheOven.com or Global Sugar Art, whoever happens to have it in stock and on sale. icon_smile.gif

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:43pm
post #34 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by misabel99

Getus you should try Dontz' white chocolate fondant I highly recommend it; it's super white and super yummy. thumbs_up.gif

I totally agree with you. I bought her DVD and tried the fondant, love the taste. Used it on a number of cakes in my gallery. I have tried the MMF and Toba's, Collette's and a few other, yet I buy the store bought brands. My DH loves the MMF, I believe it's too sweet, however, most times I use the SMBC under my cakes.

It's just one less thing I need to make in advance, especially when you work two jobs.

J.

SusanaDalia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusanaDalia Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:22am
post #35 of 55

I use FondantSource because they always keep their price low on the 20lb. buckets of Satin Ice. It is 45.99 and their shipping is reasonable, I want to say mine was $12 or so. Right now they are revamping to have a Grand Opening in March, so they don't have any in stock until late January, so then I go to IntotheOven instead. FondantSource also has all of the other brands of fondant even Albert Uster.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:39am
post #36 of 55

I got this recipe on a thread here on CC. I believe it is a take-off on Michele Foster's, and having made both, I likt this one better... I made it with the heavy cream the first time, maybe I'll try the creamer next time.

LaWanda's White Chocolate Fondant

1/2 cup Heavy cream or liquid coffee creamer (I use White Chocolate/ Macadamia Nut)
3 pkg. unflavored gelatin
1 c white corn syrup
3 Tbsp real butter
3 Tbsp glycerin
2 t clear vanilla
6 oz white chocolate, chopped
3 1/2 - 4 lb. powered Sugar. (I sift mine)

Mix cream with gelatin, allow to firm up 3-5 min. Set on double boiler with simmering water stirring until melted. Add corn syrup, white chocolate, butter, glycerin and vanilla. Cook over simmering water until butter is almost melted. Remove from heat & let cool till luke warm.

In large mixer bowl place about 2 lbs of the PS. Pour liquid through strainer until partially mixed. Attach to mixer using dough hook, mix on low until sugar is well mixed then start adding about 1 cup of PS at a time until the fondant wraps around the dough hook. Place fondant on smooth surface dusted with PS & knead until smooth. Wrap fondant in greased plastic wrap, wrap again & place in plastic bag or air-tight container. Let it rest over night.

(edited to add the rest of the instructions)

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 2:43am
post #37 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopokesgirl

YAY!!! I finally stepped out of my comfort zone and I made my own fondant for the first time yesterday.

Let me tell you a secret. I LOVE IT. Man.. why did I wait so long to do this?!?!?!

It wasn't difficult.. It wasn't THAT messy. and it tastes soooo good. And I experimented with different flavors. I LOVE IT.

I also made my kids perform a taste test for me and they loved mine. tee hee.

And the best part... IT'S CHEAPER TO MAKE IT MYSELF!!!!!

What receipe did you use, I too want to try fondant but im a little scared of it i do accents with it but thats all right now, Would you please share your receipe? Thanks

Ok... I'm just a little giddy.. must be from all the sugar I consumed yesterday. icon_lol.gif

For all of you folks that haven't at least tried it. I challenge you to take a few minutes to step out of your comfort zone and give it a try. You just may like it too.

Side note: I'll keep my supplier on the side just in case I get lazy or get in a pinch one day. icon_razz.gif

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:23am
post #38 of 55

I'm happily paying $50 per 20 lb bucket.....just as long as I don't have to make it myself!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although I do make my own modeling chocolate, which is so much easier to make.

PoodleDoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PoodleDoodle Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:29am
post #39 of 55

I learn so much for this site -- thanks for all the great links.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 12:59pm
post #40 of 55

That's definitely NOT easier than, open bucket, scoop out, use.

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 1:25pm
post #41 of 55

When I first started using fondant, I used to make mine using the recipe from The Cake Bible. I didn't know where to find ready made ones until the last 2 years. Yes, those ready made ones made my life easier! Especially for large cakes. I haven't tried MMF, it seems easy enough and this post makes me want to try it.

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:57pm
post #42 of 55

I tried to get the recipes that you put online, The Blackberry Cake and White Chocolate Mousse...and they wouldn't come up.

Is there another link??

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:08pm
post #43 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

If your fondant is too droopy.. add more PS.. or add some tylose. It will firm it up just fine. I sometimes have to add extra PS to make the consistency right.. but if you make the same recipe over and over you get a feel for when it's right. icon_smile.gif For me it's Michele Foster's fondant with my own tweaks (mostly for flavor). Her recipe as is is still more than wonderful.

i really like the taste of michele's fondant but it stretches so much for me. i end up using more than 2 pounds of sugar and it *still* stretches?? do you add tylose to yours?

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:31pm
post #44 of 55

This is an interesting thread.

I'm in the opposite boat. I've been making my own mmf for several years now and I'm ready to try a new fondant. I'm not getting the results I want out of the mmf-it's either too soft, too dry and does not give me the clean, crisp look that I want, especially when I do stripes, which I tend to use a lot.
I like the flavor and the price though.

My next venture will to test out Michelle Foster's fondant and the Satin Ice fondants.

Diesel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diesel Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:51pm
post #45 of 55

I usually only use MMF, unless modeling then I sometimes just use Wilton as I know people usually aren't eating the figures, thank goodness because that stuff is YUCKY!!!!

Can someone post Michele Foster's recipe? I clicked in the link earlier and the cakejournal site seemed just like MMF.

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:57pm
post #46 of 55

I jumped on the 'make your fondant' bandwagon back in December. I tried White Chocolate which was 'out of this world yummy'! However, it was way too stretchy and didn't do what I wanted. Then, I tried MMF which worked a lot better, but was a tad to stiff (required a lot of microwave prep time).

When you are purely a hobby baker and don't get your costs reimbursed through payment....homemade is the way to go!

But...if you are a professional and can make up the Satin Ice expense in the cost of your cake....I would think it is a no brainer. icon_smile.gif

PS. I was able to color my homemade fondant black (you can see my zebra cake in my photos). Not bad, but not really dark.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:00pm
post #47 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel

I usually only use MMF, unless modeling then I sometimes just use Wilton as I know people usually aren't eating the figures, thank goodness because that stuff is YUCKY!!!!

No kidding! I use Wilton fondant for my dummies because it's consistent and I have a stash of Michael's coupons that make it darn cheap!

For real cakes, I use mmf, but I want to branch out. I printed out Michele Foster's recipe to try, and I want to try Elisa Strauss's recipe from Confetti Cakes. Has anyone tried that one?

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:09pm
post #48 of 55

Oh My Gosh!! I just called my local cake shop that I run to for all of my supplies that I can't wait for shipping on.

I always suspected they were high in price, but never knew for sure.....yeah a 20lb bucket of Satin Ice is $85!! Whoa!

Thanks for all of the great links...looks like I will be needing to use them!

annegrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annegrand Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:16pm
post #49 of 55

Could I get your receipe for your mmf ? I have never tried it. Thanks

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:45pm
post #50 of 55

I made mmf for the first time in november. I love it. I have even used it for the few figures I've done and had no problems with it what so ever. Of course I haven't used it for anything else really. Nothing for people to eat. I haven't even covered a cake in fondant as everyone I know says they can't stand the stuff and when they go some where and they have it on the cake they avoid eating it. I know the wilton tastes horrible and the mmf is very sweet. I don't know for sure but maybe I'll attempt to cover a cake this weekend in some mmf. I just can't seem to do it without a wrinkle on the round, I've watched and watched videos and can't get it down. I always end up with a wrinkle.

artsywest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artsywest Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:34pm
post #51 of 55

I've had trouble getting my homemade mmf to do what I want when it comes to covering large cakes. The homemade fondant cracks and just doesn't handle well. Has anyone tried mixing the two? I think I'm going to try mixing mmf into my Satin Ice to see if I can stretch my expensive fondant out a little bit. I've tried mixing them when I was molding flowers, and it seemed to work fine- I got the best of both worlds.

Here are some flowers made from a mixture of SI & mmf
LL

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:37pm
post #52 of 55

the cookies are so cute....

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:43pm
post #53 of 55

I tried Michele Foster's recipe twice and had no luck with it. It was so stretchy that I had to add so much ps to it and then it was too sweet. Also, when it dried, it was rock hard.

Cinderina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cinderina Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:55pm
post #54 of 55

For those of you in Ohio, the Flower Factory carries the Satin Ice fondant. White is available in both 2 lb ($10.85 ) and 5 lb tubs ($17.95). Various colors such as red and black are also available in the 2 lb tubs. It's not listed on their website but they do have it; at least at the Bainbridge location. Now if they could only carry high ratio shortening either Sweetex or Alpine. Might have to suggest it to them.

http://www.flowerfactory.com/default.asp

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 7:15pm
post #55 of 55

For those of you in Palm Beach county, Satin Ice can be found at Cakes Etc in West Palm Beach. I love that shop and try to go there to minimize online ordering delivery fees. If your in the neighborhood, I recommend stopping by. thumbs_up.gif

As a serious hobbyist (quality is priority #1, just not in a position to open my own place) I give kudos to you all who've taken that leap and I believe that the rest of us should do what we can to support our local shop icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%