Smbc Mess

Decorating By Peet Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 4:39am by dcabrera

Peet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peet Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 12

Hi all,

I use SMBC all the time, I love it. It is not as sweet as regular BC. I usually make small batches but always have some left over. I tried freezing it but can't seems to get it back into the same fluffy cream. What am I doing wrong? I thaw it in the fridge. And wipe it again to get some fluffiness to it. But all I get is a big lumpy yuckie looking mess.

All the help is appreciated!!

Petra

11 replies
uschi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uschi1 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 12

I have never tried the SMBC, but I make IMBC all the time and freeze it.
I find that you have to whip it a good, long time and it comes back beautifully.
Not sure if that helps....

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 12

Just be patient and keep whipping it, it will come back together. It takes a little longer than when you are originally doing it, but it has to get back to room temp to come back together. It is usually too cold right out of the fridge. It might help if you let it come to room temp before trying to whip it again also. Either way, it should come back beautifully with time. Good luck!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 12

It's too cold. The fat (butter) is clumping together and separating from the water (egg whites). If you let that soupy clumpy mixture get to room temp it will come back together. You cannot whip it up when it's too cold or you get the cottage cheese and water thing going on. But it will be okay. You can even place it over a pot of boiling water for a minute and then try to whip it again and repeat until it whips up. icon_biggrin.gif

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 12

interesting info... I always toss my left over, didn't think I could freeze it...

FromScratch Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 12

It keeps beautifully in the freezer. I lay out some plastic wrap and plop it right on the wrap and wrap it up a couple times and flatten it out a bit and chill it in the fridge and then pop it in a zipper bag and freeze it. I use the reynolds vacuum bags and they work great, but plain ziper bags work fine too. icon_smile.gif You can keep it for 3-6 months.

Peet Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 12

I probably didn't whip it long enough. And I am not sure about the temp. I did consider the butter being cold, but it may still have been too cold. I will give it another try this weekend. I just made a new batch for the last cake.

Next weekend it's my son's bday, He is 14 and a Metallica fan. I am giong to try making the "death magnetic" front of the album. Kinda creepy, it looks like layered coffin cutouts. I am thinking a few layers of fondant will do the trick. And I want to give Ganache a shot. Never used it before. Wish me luck!

Thanks for the info!

Petra

FromScratch Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 6:31pm
post #8 of 12

If it is cold at all, even cool room temp, it will not whip up right (and it's cool room temp where I am brrrrrrrrr as we are getting another 9-14 inches of snow right now). I use my culinary torch on the side of my mixer bowl to warm it up. It can't be cold when you whip it up at all... that's the key.

Peet Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 6:17am
post #9 of 12

jkalman, I took your advice and my saved SMBC turned out wonderfull! Thanks so much. I put the mixer bowl in a pan with hot water and it turned right back to the nice silky consistency.

Thanks for the help all!!

Petra

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 3:50am
post #10 of 12

I love smbc, but lately I've run into a few issues. First, I sprayed pam in the bowl before whipping my egg whites. Bad idea, they never stiffened. Second, I used spreadable butter sticks instead of regular butter. I know smbc doesn't stabilize as well as BC, but this stuff was soooo runny I had to make a batch of BC and just mixed it together.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:20am
post #11 of 12

I;m sorry to say this dcabrera... but WOW where on EARTH did you get those ideas? 2 sure fire ways to ruin a batch. You never ever want any fat in whipping whites (don't even know what the perceived benefit of greasing the bowl would be) and by "spreadable butter sticks" I think you are meaning margarine? Not tasty even if the consistency had worked.

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:39am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I;m sorry to say this dcabrera... but WOW where on EARTH did you get those ideas? 2 sure fire ways to ruin a batch. You never ever want any fat in whipping whites (don't even know what the perceived benefit of greasing the bowl would be) and by "spreadable butter sticks" I think you are meaning margarine? Not tasty even if the consistency had worked.

I used non-stick spray because the sugar and egg whites stick to my bowl (it could be so annoying to remove). I guess it is margarine that I used, I thought it was butter. I had to look it up right now. Alright, I'm pretty wacky, but I'm a newbie at everything right now (cook, baker, decorator, mom, wife, handyman, etc.) icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%