? About Satin Ice

Decorating By cakedivamommy Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 10:27pm by cocobean

cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 4:51am
post #1 of 15

I always hear everyone raving about Satin Ice. I would love to try it but have a few questions. How long does it last after you open up the container? I want to get some but need it for a small project but do not want to waste a whole tub since I will not use it all at once. Is it best to roll SI with corstarch or shortening? What are your likes/dislikes about it. Thank you!

14 replies
morgnscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgnscakes Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 8:07am
post #2 of 15

I use satin ice and just like you, I started by doing a small project. I ordered mine from Global sugar art and i ordered a small tub of it to begin with (2lb tub).

It is better to roll it out using either cornstarch or powdered sugar. I usually use cornstarch and it can be rolled pretty thin without having a problem handling it. I roll mine to about 1/8" with no problem. It lasts about a year if you store it in a cool, dry spot with it sealed tightly.

I also like satin ice because I will admit that I was a skeptic of fondant, but it tastes wonderful! I can actually enjoy a piece of cake with the fondant instead of peeling it off. I'll admit that my daughter, husband and I have taken and eaten just small pieces of it by itself while watching Tv!!

Here's a link to the satin ice site...it has a lot of information on it:
www.satinfinefoods.com

If you order it from global sugar art, just click on the ad on this site. and cake central will get a portion of the sale!!

HTH

cakedivamommy Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 15

Thank you so much for your reply! So it does store for a year even if it has been opened?

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgnscakes

It is better to roll it out using either cornstarch or powdered sugar. I usually use cornstarch and it can be rolled pretty thin without having a problem handling it. I roll mine to about 1/8" with no problem. It lasts about a year if you store it in a cool, dry spot with it sealed tightly.

I agree 100%. I have tried to use vegetable shortening and it was impossible to use a fondant smoother.

As for storing, you'll be able to store that long even after its been opened. I keep mine exactly the way it come, in the plastic bag and back in the tub and had no issues.

cvoges Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvoges Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 15

I ordered several colors of Satin Ice fondant in 2 lb containers early last spring, and I'm still using it. It is definitely more palatable than Wilton fondant, and the chocolate is quite tasty. I've kept it stored in the original containers, and pulled out small amounts as needed. Though after all this time, some of it seems a tad dry, I've kneaded it with shortening on my hands, and it's come back to life. I've also had luck with using cornstarch to roll it out.

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 15

Even though I live in Houston (humid), I use organic shortening to roll it out w/. I don't have any problems w/smoothing it. I am careful not to use too much. When I used powdered sugar, it dried out too fast and left a dusty sheen that even spritzing w/the vodka would dissolve. My black pieces looked gray. I switched to organic veg shortening and haven't had any problems rolling it out or smoothing.

I think it's all a matter of trial & error and finding what works for you - every home/bakery is its own micro-climate.

Peace.

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 8:26pm
post #7 of 15

On Sugarshack's fondant DVD, she rolls the fondant out on a thin coating of shortening (on a silicone mat). Once the fondant is on the cake, she dusts it with cornstarch so that the fondant smoothers don't stick. This method works beautifully!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 15

I roll mine out on the Ateco blue mat (love it!) sprayed lightly with Pam. I don't flip the fondant over, so the grease stays on the bottom and the smoothers work fine on the top side.

I love Satin Ice too and yes it is good for about a year even after opening.

iownajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iownajane Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 8:59pm
post #9 of 15

I buy it directly from the distributor for Canada...don't know if he "looks after" any part of the US...I usually use Crisco...and roll on a "pastry" mat or the blue ateco mat...The distributor's wife is an amazing cake decorator...her business is called "La Gaterie" in Kirkland,Quebec..I'm sure she would be able to answer any questions...there is a website under that name...
Just to add...forgot...They did tell me that the fondant should keep weel for a year after opening...they recommended DOUBLE wrapping in ziplocs/whatever inside the original container..

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 9:15pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by iownajane

I buy it directly from the distributor for Canada...don't know if he "looks after" any part of the US...I usually use Crisco...and roll on a "pastry" mat or the blue ateco mat...The distributor's wife is an amazing cake decorator...her business is called "La Gaterie" in Kirkland,Quebec..I'm sure she would be able to answer any questions...there is a website under that name...
Just to add...forgot...They did tell me that the fondant should keep weel for a year after opening...they recommended DOUBLE wrapping in ziplocs/whatever inside the original container..

I live in Nova Scotia, can I have the address/telephone info for this disbtrubtor. It would be easier to puchase in Canada than in the US.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 9:17pm
post #11 of 15

Hi! I also use Satin Ice. I love it! It is wonderful to work with and keeps beautifully! I seal it in a Ziploc bag and put it back in the same container. I roll it out using a small amount of shortening. I mean a teeny tiny bit. You don't need much at all. I don't flip mine when I am rolling it out.
Another thing I love about it is that it lends it vanilla (or chocolate) flavor well to the frosting/filling combo I use. Since the vanilla is so mild, it doesn't over power the frosting. The chocolate is SO yummy! It tastes like a tootsie roll. I would recommend trying the 5 lb bucket first. That's just right amount.
The ONLY thing I don't like is that the black and red color (haven't tried the other colors yet) tend to bleed a bit onto my hands. It's not a big deal but you have to be aware of it so that you don't go and try to grab some white while you red on your hands. I have to admit that this small thing becomes very minor when compared to trying to make your own red or black. UGH impossible colors!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:19am
post #12 of 15

I have large tubs of Satin Ice on my counter right now. As long as the inner bag is sealed, the fondant will be fine. I've used Satin Ice that's months old and never had a problem. I usually purchase mine at a local cake-supply store. I previously ordered from www.countrykitchensa.com but I stopped mail ordering it b/c of the shipping charges and being able to purchase locally.

Oh, and I have found that using shortening to knead and roll results in a smoother, more elastic fondant that doesn't crack and is easier to use.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:31am
post #13 of 15

I tasted Satin Ice on a cake for the first time today. I thought I would hate it because it's so sweet. It was wonderful, and like PP said, it seems to go well with the icing flavor. I was really surprised.

I'm not quite sure about working with it in general. It seems a little too elastic. If I roll it out, and cut my shape, then try to transfer it, it doesn't want to hold it's shape. Have to get used to that I guess, for the benefit I get from the taste!

cakedivamommy Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:08pm
post #14 of 15

Thank you everyone for your replies! Does anyone know how long it will be on sale for at GSA?

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:27pm
post #15 of 15

I don't have time to read everyones responses but I will tell you that I do like Satin Ice. I just buy the white and color as needed. I roll it out on a big piece of vinyl that I bought at the fabric store. It never sticks! The taste is o.k. It tends to dry out on the cake. Not like mmf which which stays softer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%