Decorating By sugarwishes Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 3:56pm by angelcakes5

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:04pm
post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Quote:
Quote:

You know, that's what scares the crud out of me!! This has apparently been going on for some time, and if I hadn't seen someone mention it here in another thread I'd have never known! That is terrible! Something like this should be shouted from the rooftops!

... has been shouted from the rooftops for nearly a week, now. I first read about it last Thursday. It had been all over the cable news channels and Internet web news sites. Probably got lost in the inagural coverage toward the last half of the weekend and first part of the week.

edited-typo

I guess I've got my head in my butt then because after I heard about it, I went looking for more info, and there was a tiny little link at the bottom of the news page that said, 'PB recalled for salmonella' you wouldn't have even seen it if you weren't looking for it. My husband surfs all the news sites constantly at work and he didn't hear about it. I guess we're just not looking in the right news sites.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:09pm
post #32 of 48

Thank goodness I use Jif, which has evidently survived TWO major salmonella outbreaks so far...

Melvira I was appalled as well...I read the news daily and found this outbreak a few weeks ago, when I was trying to figure out if my hubby had a stomach bug or food poisoning. Anyway I found out that this outbreak started in SEPTEMBER 08!!!! Wasn't mentioned until January 09?????

Somebody have something to hide? Gee. I guess they want to give themselves time to find the culprit, but still.....

Melvira Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:12pm
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Thank goodness I use Jif, which has evidently survived TWO major salmonella outbreaks so far...

Melvira I was appalled as well...I read the news daily and found this outbreak a few weeks ago, when I was trying to figure out if my hubby had a stomach bug or food poisoning. Anyway I found out that this outbreak started in SEPTEMBER 08!!!! Wasn't mentioned until January 09?????

Somebody have something to hide? Gee. I guess they want to give themselves time to find the culprit, but still.....

Are you flipping joking me???? Good grief. I feel sick now even without eating peanut butter! And yah, I'm glad we eat Jif too. 3YO is eating a PB sammy right now with Jif. They've survived two recalls... I guess that's WHY choosy moms choose Jif, eh? That'd be a good ad for them! Heheh.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:40pm
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Quote:

Win wrote:
Quote:
You know, that's what scares the crud out of me!! This has apparently been going on for some time, and if I hadn't seen someone mention it here in another thread I'd have never known! That is terrible! Something like this should be shouted from the rooftops!

... has been shouted from the rooftops for nearly a week, now. I first read about it last Thursday. It had been all over the cable news channels and Internet web news sites. Probably got lost in the inagural coverage toward the last half of the weekend and first part of the week.

edited-typo

I guess I've got my head in my butt then because after I heard about it, I went looking for more info, and there was a tiny little link at the bottom of the news page that said, 'PB recalled for salmonella' you wouldn't have even seen it if you weren't looking for it. My husband surfs all the news sites constantly at work and he didn't hear about it. I guess we're just not looking in the right news sites.

I do think it's fallen by the wayside... Monday morning, I was watching MSNBC they teased you with an update in the 7-8 AM hour and didn't actually report it until right before 9:00 AM --almost as if it was an afterthought.

Melvira Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:02pm
post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

I do think it's fallen by the wayside... Monday morning, I was watching MSNBC they teased you with an update in the 7-8 AM hour and didn't actually report it until right before 9:00 AM --almost as if it was an afterthought.

That figures... though I do stand by my theory that I've got my head in my butt. It explains so many other things.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 9:28pm
post #36 of 48

I'm chompin' down right now on some Skippy natural and Ritz crackers. I'll let ya'll know if I die tomorrow...

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:57am
post #37 of 48

Tita9499.. I hope you dont wake up dead!
Thats a line I always use on my hubby when Im annoyed.. You'll be sorry if I wake up dead !!! LOL!!

Melvira Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:03am
post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

Thats a line I always use on my hubby when Im annoyed.. You'll be sorry if I wake up dead !!! LOL!!

OMG, that is so funny! Earlier today my 3YO took his nap and I said to my sister "I just fed him a PB sandwich... they say Jif is safe, I sure hope he doesn't wake up dead!"

Tita9499 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:44am
post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

OMG, that is so funny! Earlier today my 3YO took his nap and I said to my sister "I just fed him a PB sandwich... they say Jif is safe, I sure hope he doesn't wake up dead!"

I tell DH all the time. When I die you'd better not marry again or I'll come back and beat your butt. He's like, "You're dead"...I'm like, "I'll haunt you!"

Here I go gettin' off topic again.

I think I'm good, Skippy Natural is okay everybody!

Melvira Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:06pm
post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

I don't know, you seem a little 'off' to me! icon_lol.gif

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:10pm
post #41 of 48

I'm so glad I make my own peanut butter.

Tita9499 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:08pm
post #42 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

I don't know, you seem a little 'off' to me! icon_lol.gif

Oh that? That's the formaldehyde, the room will clear out in a few days.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:20pm
post #43 of 48

I may be late chiming in but Jif & Peter Pan peanut butter are safe...but it's better be to safe then sorry. My mom who's in her 50's & my 9yr old dd both have gotten sick from the stupid pb crackers...we threw out everything but 1 jar of jif peanut butter, and even so everyone's afraid of touching it.

sweettreats36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreats36 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:29pm
post #44 of 48

WOW! Thanks for the info icon_surprised.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:15am
post #45 of 48

I just saw this link on the FDA's website that allows you to search for peanut butter products that are recalled. It lets you search by the following:

- Brand Name (Example: Austin Quality Foods, Keebler)
- UPC Code (Example: 54807-59114)
- Product Description (Example: Crackers with Peanut Butter)
- Any combination of: brand name, description, UPC code

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/peanutbutterrecall/index.cfm

I though this was way easier than going through the ever growing list.

Melvira Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:09pm
post #46 of 48

Thank you Xstitcher!!

I stood at the counter of the gas station last night with a Reese's PB Cup in my hand, I laid it down, I picked it up, I laid it down, I picked it up... the cashier laughed and said she's eaten several from that box and feels fine. Yah, I bought it. icon_rolleyes.gif

How sad is it that we have to do this? Yikes!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:47pm
post #47 of 48

I agree, PLEASE POST you peanut butter mousse recipe!

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:56pm
post #48 of 48

I hope this helps this is a local news station www.wgrz.com has a list of recalled items. Hope it helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%