My Bananas Aren't Ripe Yet

Decorating By hallow3 Updated 20 Jan 2009 , 9:51pm by deliciously_decadent

hallow3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallow3 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 22

I need some help. I bought bananas earlier this week and today I need to make a banana cake and my bananas are still not "very ripe" Do any of you have a trick that will ripen bananas quickly? All yellow and not a very ripe one in the bunch....

21 replies
erc11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erc11 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 22

Put them in a brown paper bag with a slice of apple.

hallow3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallow3 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 22

How long will that take for them to ripen up in the paper bag?

erc11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erc11 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 22

Should take a day or so. Depending on how green those babies are!

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 10:50pm
post #5 of 22

I'd call the local grocery and see if they have an overripe ones. The blacker the peel, the better for banana cake. That's when they're really sweet! I wouldn't eat one that way, but it's the only way I bake with them.

Jodie

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 22

If you absolutely need to make the cake today, I would recommend smashing the bananas in a shot of espresso (caf or decaf works). I think it really brings out the banana flavor

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 22

I needed really ripe bananas once. I went to my local Thornton's (gas station/grocery store.) Those places always have really ripe bananas! Otherwise, the apple/brown bag works within 24 hours depending on how green they are.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 6:35am
post #8 of 22

Great suggestions, I was always wondering about this myself as every now and then all of the bananas at the store are green icon_confused.gif. Right, only when you need them ripe/overripe!

Now what I do is, every single time I have overripe bananas (even just one) I just throw them in the freezer. They freeze forever and are naturally wrapped against freezer burn. I have like 10 bananas in there right now, it will be a miracle if I ever make that much banana cake icon_rolleyes.gif

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 12:37pm
post #9 of 22

To speed ripening I tie them in a plastic bag overnight- They'll be yellow by the next day and spotted the day after.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 1:10pm
post #10 of 22

I'm with you, ceshell! I volunteer at a food pantry every week and, when they're ready to dispose of the overripe bananas at the end of the night, I grab them and bring them home. I've taken a lot of teasing for it, and my freezer's full of bananas, but they really come in handy when I need them!!!

cookiesbyms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiesbyms Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 1:16pm
post #11 of 22

I too freeze my over ripe bananas. When I need to make a cake I pull them out of the freezer a couple of hours before I need them. My kids also love them straight out of the freezer into a blender with milk and icecream, makes a great smoothie.

ceshell Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:55pm
post #12 of 22

I was inspired by this thread so this morning I made banana-macadamia nut pancakes!! Mmmmm they were sooooo good.

Bijoudelanuit Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 8:00pm
post #13 of 22

Banana macadamia nut pancakes? That sounds so heavenly! Would you be willing to share a recipe?

ceshell Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 8:13pm
post #14 of 22

Easy! I got it off the net. I use this recipe from Epicurious however I make the following modifications:
1-I don't even bother with the orange butter
2-I use only 1c flour
3-I grind the 1/2c macadamia nuts as fine as possible in a food processor. They become that extra 1/2c flour that I just deleted. However I still fold them in at the end.
4-Because there is less real flour I reduce the buttermilk to 1c
5-Actually that's it! icon_smile.gif I don't add chopped macs at the end since I've already ground them up, however for extra punch I am sure you could add even more, lightly chopped.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Banana-Macadamia-Pancakes-with-Orange-Butter-107456

Yum-o!

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 8:23pm
post #15 of 22

For all fruit that I buy in an unripened, hard state (like pears, avocados, peaches, etc), I put them in a paper bag for 1 to 3 days with 3 or 4 apples. Apples off-gas ethylene which ripens fruit.

I know this doesn't help you today, but if you can let the bananas hang out even just overnight with a couple of apples in a sealed bag, this will help raise the sugar level in the bananas.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 8:40pm
post #16 of 22

I make a banana type pancake. I cut up some bananas and stick in on the griddle, then a little butter, little brown sugar, and sometimes a tiny bit of cinnamon. On top of all that I put some buttermilk pancake batter. It is so good.

Bijoudelanuit Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 9:56pm
post #17 of 22

Thanks so much for sharing the banana pancake ideas! They all sound so yummy icon_smile.gif

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:16am
post #18 of 22

glad to know I'm not the only one with a freezer full of black bananas!

ceshell Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 1:52am
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMakar

glad to know I'm not the only one with a freezer full of black bananas!

Me too! I get my overages from my DD's preschool rather than letting them chuck 'em. Last time I got 10 HUGE bananas icon_eek.gif. So I made the teachers some apple-banana muffins thumbs_up.gif

Anyway thanks for all of the ripening info. I may have a freezerful of black bananas, but that doesn't help when you just want to eat a piece of fresh fruit. I had no idea about using apples to speed up the process. This will come in super-handy for avocados too.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:54am
post #20 of 22

The rest of my family gives me their old bananas. icon_redface.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:54pm
post #21 of 22

You can substitute baby food bananas for the "real" thing if you need to make something and have no ripened bananas on hand...or in the freezer.

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 9:51pm
post #22 of 22

put an advocado in a brown paper bag with your bananas on the bench, the advocado omits a certain gas when it is ripe that speeds banana's rippening process

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%