Satin Ribbon

Decorating By mscooper67 Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 12:49am by kimberlina25

mscooper67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mscooper67 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 4

I read that you should line satin ribbon with wax paper when wrapping a cake with buttercream frosting. Does that apply to fondant covered cakes as well?

3 replies
lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 4

Well, technically, ribbon is not a food safe product. So, it should have a barrier. I am not in business and only do this for family and friends, but I have and have not used a barrier.

I guess it would depend on the fondant. I have seen some fondant have a sticky, greasy look to it. My guess is it might stain the ribbon. I have also seen fondant that appeared dry with a matte finish. I think it would be ok on that, just add the ribbon last.

Sherri

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 4

I meant to say when I did line the ribbon, I used press and seal saran wrap.

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:49am
post #4 of 4

i don't think ribbon has anything in it that is worse than anything else that cakes are exposed to. I mean, you have them in cars, outside with bugs, pollens, pollutants, curious guests touching them..... plus, they are probably only having one piece of cake, i doubt ribbon on it would hurt anyone.

but, no, you wouldn't need wax paper backing on fondant, how ever, if you are gonna bc "glue" it in place, you might want wax paper at those points so the grease in the bc won't absorb into the ribbon

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%