Red Gumpaste?!?!

Decorating By forthwife Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 9:33pm by forthwife

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:15am
post #1 of 9

Ok, I'm wanting to make a red gumpaste rose. I had no idea this was such an impossible dream. What is the best method of getting my gumpaste red instead of pink?? Thanks!!

8 replies
sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:24am
post #2 of 9

It's definitely not impossible. I use Americolor Super Red and knead it right into the gumpaste (I use Nick Lodge's recipe). Then once my red roses have dried, I brush them with petal dust which further deepens the color.

If your GP is still pink, you need to add more color. Of course, you can just brush your roses with petal dust, dip in concentrated color, or airbrush them once they are dry. icon_smile.gif

forthwife Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:33am
post #3 of 9

I'm still a newbie and just use Wilton's gel color. Can I achieve red gp with that? Also....how much (ball park) does an airbrush cost?

sparklepopz Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:39am
post #4 of 9

Wilton's red will give you red gumpaste but it will take a LOT. Be prepared to add some powdered sugar to offset the change in consistency all that gel color will impart.

An airbrush can range from the inexpensive to the really expensive. You can pick up a nice airbrush from Airbrush City for 50 bucks and a compressor at Harbor Freight Tools for another 50 bucks (and you can often catch them on sale for less than that). Then you buy the airbrush colors and some coloring books and start practicing!

The cake in your avatar is gorgeous! I don't think you're a newbie. icon_smile.gif

forthwife Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:51am
post #5 of 9

Haha about the cake! You flatter me! I should write you when I feel bummed out about my caking skills. I actually just entered myself into a cake contest next month and am totally scared. I've only been decorating since July and know I'll be no where as good as most others. However, it'll be a cool experience that I am looking forward to. I just hope I can make a wedding cake, I've never done one before!

sparklepopz Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 6:04am
post #6 of 9

LOL, a wedding cake is no different from any other cake except for the PRESSURE! icon_smile.gif I bet you're gonna kick-a in the cake contest. Which one are you entering?

forthwife Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 9

It's called "Let's Eat Cake" in Gainesville, Florida next month. Proceeds benefit St Jude's and Kerry Vincent is the Judge. So, crazy. I think I'm only excited rather than scared because I know I'm so new, I don't care how badly I do. Enjoying the journey rather than just looking forward to the destination, right? icon_wink.gif

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:47pm
post #8 of 9

The cake with red roses in my photos was gumpaste roses with Americolor super red. Even using Americolor, it took quite a bit to get to that deep red and changed the consistency of the gumpaste so I did wind up adding PS/cornstarch mix. Not sure how much, I just had the mix in my shaker and added as I went along. Also be ready for it to take a lot of time to knead in the color. It worked out fine, just make sure you build in time for the color.

forthwife Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 9:33pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%