Royal Icing And Luster Dust...lesson Learned

Decorating By joenshan Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 4:00pm by Jayde

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:07am
post #1 of 8

So, don't paint your royal icing with a mixture of vodka and luster dust, your RI will turn to mush. I guess you would just dust it dry.

Sadly, I am a chemist and should have known immediately that alcohol breaks down sugars. My biochem professor would be so disappointed.....

7 replies
2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:24am
post #2 of 8

Actually, if you airbrush it with the vodka/dust, lightly, then let dry, then do it again, it will be fine. I did about 300 snowflakes this way. I do agree that if you put it on with a paint brush and the vodka, they will dissolve.

Sorry this happended to you.

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:25am
post #3 of 8

haha... so sorry to hear that...

I have heard it can be done... maybe a diferent compound??

I just tried a tylose w/ boiling water turns to glue then luster dust mixed in concoction..

no on RI but maybe??

do you think that would work?

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 8

I frequently paint royal icing with luster dust mixed with lemon extract or pure grain alcohol, and it doesn't turn to mush. What proof was your vodka? I suspect it was the water content, not the alcohol. Or your "paint" was not concentrated enough, you used too much, went over the piece too many times, or the royal icing was not completely dry. You have to make sure the paint is thick enough, enough luster dust added, that you get the coverage you want in one stroke, and be sure the brush is not overloaded with paint. The royal icing has to be completely dr to begin with, then you need to be sure to let it dry completely again before touching.

Give it another try with Everclear or PGA; better luck next time!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 8

icon_confused.gif Never had my RI turn to mush using this method either icon_confused.gif

Was your icing dry enough before you tried painting on it? I usually allow mine to dry a few hrs. or even over night if I have time.

I use "Tara1970 icing for cookies" recipe instead of plain RI, maybe that's why I haven't had a problem with it turning to mush.

I always paint with vodka or lemon ext. too. Maybe you have some kicka$$ proof vodka? icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 8

I always dry brush on royal icing, I never ever use any liquids. My RI atttracts that dust like a magnet, sticks like glue, with no liquids needed. Maybe try that next time?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 8

I really think your piece was not dry to begin with to have done that. It's been done before many times.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:00pm
post #8 of 8

I paint my RI all the time and have NEVER had that happen...

I do, like pp suggested, let mine dry for a long time before I paint. I also mix my vodka/dust until its a thicker consistancy. More dust, less vodka, that might have something to with mine going on better, but I doubt it. Try lemon extract? I have done that also, and it works well.

What kind of RI recipe are you using?? I buy the powder in the big 5 lb bags, and just mix with a bit of water until I get the consistancy that I want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%