1.16.09 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By janelwaters Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 8:02am by sayhellojana

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:14am
post #1 of 19

Good evening!! Anyone else pulling an all nighter???

18 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:25am
post #2 of 19

Hopefully not an all nighter, but definately a late night for me. I have a 1/2 sheet football field that I just took out of the oven and a doz cupcakes to accompany it. Thought I check out the forums while the cake is cooling. What are you working on?

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:14am
post #3 of 19

My body can't take all-nighters anymore. I'm amazed at the boundless energy I had in college. If I pulled an all-nighter now, I'd be a wreck for a week! Pathetic, I know.

As for cakes, I have three of them due tomorrow. All of them are single-tier. One 9-inch has been covered in fondant, the gumpaste decorations have been made and dried, and I'm going to to RI striping around the side tonight.

The second and third cakes are for the same birthday party - brother and sister. They're having a magician perform. For the boy's cake, I've molded a fondant/gumpaste magic hat with a rabbit popping out (quite pleased with this) and a wand. I'm going to do red and yellow fondant stars around the edge of the cake. For the girl, she loves anything pink. So, I molded a pink bunny and I will do fondant cut-out flowers around the edge of the cake.

I used Sugarshack's recipe for buttercream today. LOVE IT!!! It is silky, fluffy, and delicious.

I hope everyone else's night is going well.

janelwaters Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:30am
post #4 of 19

We are having a fundraiser on Sunday at Church for a girl that has breast cancer - and a ton of medical bills. It also happens to be her 30th birthday, so I am making her an over the top, cake of her dreams, suprise cake - hopefully its the cake of her dreams...haha!

We are also having a bake sale so I'm making Tiramisu cupcakes, pink ribbon sugar cookies and chocolate covered oreos.

I decided against the all nighter when I started to fall asleep watching my icing mix! Everything is done and made and ready to be worked on tomorrow, but I think I'm calling it a night! At least it doesn't have to be ready until Sunday - not tomorrow!!

Good luck ladies...i want pics!! I love looking at everyone's work, especially cakes that we talk about while making them!

dmich Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:34am
post #5 of 19

Ooo - tiramisu cupcakes. Sounds delicious! How great that there is a fundraiser for that lady. I'm sure she'll be surprised and thrilled by your cake. Make sure you post pics

I poured myself a glass of wine while doing my striping. Hmm, I don't think drinking and decorating is recommended. icon_smile.gif

janelwaters Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:38am
post #6 of 19

LMAO!! neither does decorating and pain meds!

the worst part of cake decorating for me right now is that I am on a hard core diet! I don't even get to eat the scraps or have a cupcake - and those are my FAVORITE! No chocolate covered oreos or sugar cookies for me! POOOOOOOO! On the bright side, I have lost 15 1/2 lbs!

oh well, off to dream land, hopefully the final design for her birthday cake will come to me in my sleep!

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:43am
post #7 of 19

I'm finishing up my TD cake... Last week I was making accent pieces, but tonight I'm almost done! WOO!!!

Sorry, you can't see it until next week when they're posted for voting, though... Sad, because I'm really proud of it so far! icon_biggrin.gif

jammjenks Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:33pm
post #8 of 19

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.....

Here's the one that kept me up late.
LL

janelwaters Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:37pm
post #9 of 19

WOW!!! great great job!!

I will post pics later tonight when I finish mine - not delivering until tomorrow morning.... I promise I will post pics!

dmich Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 11:48pm
post #10 of 19

Great football cake! I have a football one due next week. Would you mind if I used some of your design ideas.

Here are the cakes I completed for today.
LL
LL
LL

janelwaters Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 12:48am
post #11 of 19

OMG OMG!!!! those are GREAT!! your bunnies are A-dorable!! and I LOVE the daisey cake!!

So I have all my cakes carved and my gumpaste work done, now I just have to cover the 3 layers with fondant, airbrush and airbrush the stripes and diamonds and dots.... then I have to make the espresso symple syrup for the cupcakes and ice the cookies....

I guess tonight will be my all nighter - especially since this is a cake of firsts for me - first SMBC, first wonky cake, AND first airbrush.... did great on 2 so far - lets see how the airbrush works out!!

dmich Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 12:51am
post #12 of 19

Thanks so much! Good luck on your decorating tonight - hope you can get some sleep. I'd love to hear how your airbrushing goes. I got one for Christmas and haven't got up the guts to use it yet.

janelwaters Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 12:58am
post #13 of 19

Well, I have a secret weapon that has given me the courage to try...my husband! haha!! he might be the designated airbrusher! He paints cars and his family has a tanning salon and the airbrush that I have is the same one that they use for spray tans!

I got mine at Michael's with a 40% off coupon and then got the air compressor at Harbour Freight - all in all was about $130 - not bad!

I will definatly post picks when I get done or tomorrow after the fundraiser/benefit!

jammjenks Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 8:43pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmich

Great football cake! I have a football one due next week. Would you mind if I used some of your design ideas.

Here are the cakes I completed for today.

Of course you can use my cake for inspiration. I'd be honored.

I like your cakes. They all look great!

janelwaters Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 9:18pm
post #15 of 19

well, I finished the cake at about 1am and delivered it at 9AM to help set up for the fundraiser.

EVERYONE there loved the cake. Debbie didn't want to cut it, she said I just want to take it home and keep it forever...I said - I think it might rot! haha!! so she decided to cut it!

This is by far one of my favorite cakes so far!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1302908

dmich Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 10:35pm
post #16 of 19

It looks fantastic! So glad to hear that your friend was so happy with it. That must have warmed your heart.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 10:53pm
post #17 of 19

Gosh - CC didn't work for me for 2 days! Finally got back on today. I really could have used FNCC this week too, oh well. I did a circus cake with fondant clown figure and 3 4'' cakes for a tasting. It was my first cake tasting for a wedding and it went really well. The bride said my cakes tasted better than the 3 other bakeries she's already sampled at! haha!

dmich - how did you do the royal icing striping? Did you just pipe it freehand? It's so perfect. And those bunnies are awesome!

dmich Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 10:59pm
post #18 of 19

sayhellojana, good job on your tasting session. I hope the order comes through for you!

Thanks for the compliments on my cakes. As for the striping, I did it freehand. I just let gravity help me out by holding the tip out from the cake as I piped and then brought it back into the cake at the bottom.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 8:02am
post #19 of 19

Thanks! I emailed her my quote (basically pocket change compared to what the "real" bakers out here are getting) and am crossing fingers.

I think I'll have to try striping like that on a cake. It's a really cool effect. Thanks icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%