Need Some Help Making A Gp Magnolia Or Peony

Decorating By Chef_Stef Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 12:54am by Chef_Stef

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:00am
post #1 of 13

I'm not very good at GP flowers and don't have any books for these two flowers, so I need to know...

For a huge Peony, camelia, or magnolia, are the petal on wires?

Does anyone have a little tutorial or a link or a starting point for these? I need to fiddle with them over this weekend.

Thanks so much!

12 replies
summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 12:05am
post #2 of 13

Here is a bump-i would like to know this, too.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 13

I don't have any links to free tutorials, but Nicholas Lodge has excellent DVDs very reasonably priced. He has one featuring a gardenia and peony and another with magnolia and bearded iris. Most large petals are individually wired, and the Celboard with the V slots on one side is very helpful in making wired petals and leaves. Global sells these DVDs as does ISAC (Nic's store).

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 13

Nick's DVDs are excellent for these flowers but if you have the International book of Sugarcraft, book 3, there is a tutorial on gumpaste peonies which is very helpful.

Chef_Stef Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 13

I know there are books and DVDs out there, but I was hoping to try these this weekend for a display next week.

Oh well. Guess I'll try making them "off the hip", or just use silk.

Thanks anyway

Chef_Stef Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 13

I found a link on Scott Clark Woolley's site that has 31 pages of in depth GP flower instructions that you can save or print, including Camelias, stargazer lilies, magnolias, and peonies, amoung many others. woo hoo

Here's the link.

http://www.cakesbydesign.cc./MetalCuttersAtoB.html

cheers

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 13

Wow, Chef_Stef ... thanks so much for that link. Great instructions and he even has pictures to show what they should look like. I will definitely be going back to that one!

Chef_Stef Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:39am
post #8 of 13

Heh...I printed it out. Just in case the link is ever taken down. I put it all in protected sheets in the growing folder of recipes and the like that is rapidly becoming known in my kitchen as: The Book. icon_cool.gif

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:16am
post #9 of 13

I bought Scott's peony cutters and followed his directions. It took forever but the flower is amazing! If you look in my pics, the green TT has a pink peony and the ivory tiered with a brown bow has maroon peonies on it.

Chef_Stef Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:53am
post #10 of 13

I may get his cutters too. Your peonies are gorgeous. How did you get the deep colors? I tried to make a maroon peony, but unfortunately I started with burgundy coloring, which doesn't get deeper than dark raspberry...so I added some maroon but now it just looks muddy. Did you use straight maroon color, or something else?

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:35am
post #11 of 13

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Peony

I hope this can help you, they are rally cute thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:10pm
post #12 of 13

I'm trying to remember how I came up with maroon actually. I'm pretty sure I took 50/50 red fondant and white gumpaste, then I added more red color and a little brown and purple color. It was a really flat color and more purply (is that a word icon_biggrin.gif ) than I wanted so once I let the petals dry for a day, I dusted them with a mixture of eggplant and brown petal dust and then claret wine and rouge luster dust, then I steamed them to set the color. If you steam them just a second, it will set the color, if you hold there for another few seconds, it will get shiny and it looks pretty cool but then it needs to dry again. For the pink one, I used 50/50 again and then red, pink and orange color and dusted with claret luster dust.

I would suggest ordering from Scott, not only does he tell you exactly what you need (wire gauge and color, stamens, veiners, etc) but if you have any questions, he's happy to answer them. You need two different size wires, white for the petals and then green for the center and then you need a ton of white stamens. He'll tell you exactly what you need and his cutters are really cheap and he ships the same day even when you pay by check like I did.

Good Luck, it's a time consuming flower to really do it right, but it's definitely worth every minute. It's such a beautiful flower.

Chef_Stef Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:54am
post #13 of 13

Wow and thanks so much for the tips! I'll have to play with some colors, I can see...

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%