How Should I Do This?

Baking By tljkids Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 5:23am by tljkids

tljkids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tljkids Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 10

I'm making cookies for our high school cheerleaders. I have a 4" demon cookie cutter that I'm using. How would be the best way to go about decorating to look like the picture? I don't have enough time to send off for edible images. I don't need the blue lines in the background.
LL

9 replies
shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 10

have you tried doing a search (or googled images) for devil cake? See what you come up with. I think it's best to make the cookie red and outline and detail in white and black. I just did some red devil basketball cookies, and no way was I going to attempt the devil face, no telling what it would look like!! icon_wink.gif Good Luck!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 10

fbct or even royal icing/flow-in type plaques attached with a bit of r/i.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:54am
post #4 of 10

I'm thinking you could make a pretty good stencil out of that design. The lines are all connected.

Jennifer9800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer9800 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 5:15am
post #5 of 10

I would ice the cookie white and pipe the face in red. I agree with the stencil idea or at least print it out the same size you'll need for the cookie to have right next to it if you can do it without the stencil. Practice it on wax paper a couple of times to get the flow and work out the kinks before starting on the cookies too. good luck!

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 10

i'm not sure if you have access or not, but i had a design and i really wanted all the cookies to look exactley alike. i make a stencil, then airbrushed over the stencil onto the dry cookie. i now had a template on the cookie to pipe over. hope this helps

tljkids Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 10

Kneadacookie, how do you make your stencils?

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:15pm
post #8 of 10

i took the picture exactley the size i wanted it, laminated it and cut it out with a really sharp pair of scissors

Cathy741 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy741 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:02am
post #9 of 10

Don't know if any of you have seen this already, but in the book Cookie Bouquets by Casey Lester she has a page on how to make stencils with a stencil cutter pen (similar to a wood burning tool) and either a drafting pen or mylar. Haven't tried it yet. I tried (just once so far) to decorate hearts with some stencils I bought from Culinary Stencils I iced the cookies with royal, let it dry, then put the stencil on top and brushed on piping gel, trying to get into every nook and crany, lifted the stencil, dusted with colored sugar. It did not come out as good as the pictures on their website -- maybe practice makes perfect. Sugar seemed to also stick in places I had not intended.

tljkids Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:23am
post #10 of 10

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried making a stencil but I was not very good at that. I'll have to try the stencil pen. What I came up with was to take the image into my Photoshop program. I then erased some of the details so as to not loose the image , but yet have it be more simple. After I printed this edited image out, I used my projector to pipe the royal icing details in red. After that dried, I filled in with the white. I was pleased with the way they turned out. Glad I only had to do 14 of them, though. I'm going to work on the stencil approach because that would have to be faster.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%