My Cookies Are Breaking Apart!

Baking By miscue Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 2:25am by miscue

miscue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miscue Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:57am
post #1 of 4

Hi there,
It's one of my first times making cookies, and I'm using a recipe from the wilton website (roll out cookies). I'm making them right now.
But what seems to be happening is that the dough is all breaking apart, and I'm finding it really really hard to get my cookies from the bench in one piece.
The recipe is weird, because wouldn't you normally knead the dough before rolling out? it doesn't mention kneading.
Any help would be great!

3 replies
shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 3:44am
post #2 of 4

I find if I put too much flour in the dough, it is crumbly and breaks apart. Could this be your problem? My dd gave me a KA non-stick rolling pin and Silpat for Christmas, and they are Wonderful, don't have to use much flour when rolling out the cookies.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 4

Sorry you are having so much trouble with your cookies. Here's a recipe that alot of us on CC use:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2055-No-Fail-Sugar-Cookies.html

They are very good, and I think, easy to handle. Be sure and try the hint for rolling and chilling them, it is a great way to do it.

Once you get the hang of doing cookies, you will get the cookie bug, its going around.

HTH

miscue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miscue Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:25am
post #4 of 4

thanks for the suggestions, maybe it was too much flour.

I like the sound of recipe suggested. Thanks, I'll try that one next time.
I think you're right about the cookie bug - never a big fan myself, until now!
Anyway, they turned out alright - took me 5 hours to make 10 half decent cookies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%