Mm Fondant Question

Decorating By babycakes73 Updated 18 Jan 2009 , 1:45pm by kakeladi

babycakes73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes73 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:15am
post #1 of 6

Can anyone tell me if you can make MM fondant accents and dry them over night?
(for example, I want to make a standing purse handle) it seems most people mix gumpaste with their fondant and let this dry over night. But I was wondering do you have to use gumpaste or can the same effect be done using just MM fondant and leave it to dry over night?
Am I making any sense her LOL.
icon_confused.gif

5 replies
megal80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megal80 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:33am
post #2 of 6

The fondant will only harden to a certain degree. I made little fondant snowmen and put them on my counter for decoration, and even after 3 weeks it was still soft enough for me to just pinch my fingers right through it!

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:49am
post #3 of 6

Yeah, everytime i have tried to dry straight MMF it only dries a bit, not much at all over night at least 4-5 days if you want it to keep its shape. I use a 50/50 mix when i need it to dry, especially with something like a purse handle. HTH!!! Good luck !

babycakes73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes73 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 6

so when you use a 50\\50 mix of gumpaste and MMF do you have to make the fondant up first then add gumpaste???

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 6:10am
post #5 of 6

Yes. If it's a purse handle though, and you can work quickly enough, you can always just use straight gumpaste. The only advantage to working 50% fondant in is just to give you more time. But it's not like gp dries in 10 seconds, so if you do not have time to make/don't want to make fondant, just use gp.

You can also buy some Wilton fondant to keep on hand for stuff like this. It's stiffer than MMF so works better for modeling, esp. when it's stuff you aren't worried they'll try to eat.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 1:45pm
post #6 of 6

One other possibility is to coat the back of the piece w/melted choco. Use whatever color choco/candy melts you need

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%