Have Cake, Will Travel, But How?

Decorating By SweetOccasionCakes Updated 16 Jan 2009 , 11:48pm by Chef_Stef

SweetOccasionCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOccasionCakes Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 7

I am doing a wedding cake in March that is long distance. I am baking the cakes the day before and traveling with them about 2 hours. I will be staying overnight and decorating/setting up the next day. Any suggestions? I'm making my icing and taking all that I need including extra ingredients for more icing and my mixer JUST IN CASE! TIA!

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 7

Depending on the size of each tier, put them into a cake box and put them on a non skid mat in the car. Make sure they are flat & level and nothing can fall on them.
I've taken cakes more than 5 hrs this way.
They were already decoratedicon_smile.gif If not, at least iced and ready to decorate.
If it is hot you can fz the cakes overnight and they will be ready (thawed) when you arrive to decorate. Again, having them already iced is a time saver.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 7

You do need your mixer because if you have made your icing ahead of time it needs to be whipped up again before you use it. As for transporting the cake, I make sure my box(I will cut one to size) or container fits the cake or board that it's on if the layers are assembled perfectly tight. That way the cake cannot move around at all in the container. that it's on

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 7

Is the design something that can't be done ahead of time? I did my nephew's cake, fully decorated, drove four hours, set it up and everything was fine. They traveled in cake boxes in the back of the vehicle. No coolers, no dry ice, no high-blasting air conditioning.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 12:10am
post #5 of 7

I drove a partial cake 5 hours-finished on site in the reception area. Took some old sheets and put on the floor to catch any stray icing. The tiers were finished and all I did was stack and put the borders on. I put each tier in a box on a non skid pad and the box on a non skid pad.
No problem.

SweetOccasionCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOccasionCakes Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKing12

I drove a partial cake 5 hours-finished on site in the reception area. Took some old sheets and put on the floor to catch any stray icing. The tiers were finished and all I did was stack and put the borders on. I put each tier in a box on a non skid pad and the box on a non skid pad.
No problem.

Sounds like what I will do then. The cake is pretty simple and not huge. I will put the ribbon and finishing touches on it there, but ice it before I leave! Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 7

I'd just decorate it, stack it, chill it really good, and take the whole thing fully assembled. Make sure it's really sturdy for support, box it up, and go.

If you're staying overnight, check and see if there's somewhere cool (or a fridge) to keep the cake overnight (depending on icing/filling), but I always fridge mine, every time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%