Computer Help...please!!

Decorating By ThatsHowTcakesRolls Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 8:25pm by myslady

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 12

Hey everyone! I am not computer ignorant but I am at a loss here...

For the last week or so I have not been able to access my website www.fancycakeshop.com - It's not down - I checked with the company and it is the only website I can not access. I have tried everything from cleaning the computer cookies, history & temp files...disabling my firewall, disabling my Security Protection...Nothing.

Anybody have any idea what I can do? It is definitely something with my computer and I do not have a clue at this point. I've been trying to update my website during this time and it is so frustrating not being able to view my changes and check everything. I'm also concerned that maybe it could be a problem with the servers my site is hosted on - what if a potential customer can't access it...I just don't know what to do...I'll take any suggestions...Thanks in advance!

Tammi

11 replies
marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 12

The good news is that I tried accessing your website, and had no problems - very nice site BTW! thumbs_up.gif The bad news - I can' think of anything that would stop you from getting onto your site...

At least your potential customers can see it!

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks for letting me know you could access the site (and thanks for the compliment too!) - that does make me feel better that the site can be accessed....I guess I'll just have to keep trying to figure it out.

Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks!

Tammi

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 3:12am
post #4 of 12

What happens when you try and access the website?

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks for asking! The Network Times Out and I get an error page...I've attached a screen shot of the page to show what it says...Thanks!
LL

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 12

Since it's saying the server is taking too long to respond, it's probably an issue with whoever is hosting your website. I would contact them again.

Jodie

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 12

Hi Jodie! Thanks for the suggestion but I really think it has to be my computer because I'm the only one in the world that can't access it and I can access any other website just fine. Its so frustrating! Thanks anyway though...

Tammi

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 11:01pm
post #8 of 12

Do you have a firewall on your computer? It is possible that site has been blocked.
However, since you are able to reach any other website, and that server is throwing the "server is taking too long to respond" message, logic dictates it's an issue on their end. Unlike other folks, you're trying to access it to work on your site. That's a big difference.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 11:33pm
post #9 of 12

That's the thing. I can access the edit part of my website and make changes. I've published the updates but I am not able to view the actual website. I use register.com so editing my site goes through them but I can not actually go to fancycakeshop.com. I don't know what it could be. Ill just have to keep trying to figure it out. Thanks!

Tammi

myslady Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 6:26am
post #10 of 12

Is it possible for you to connect a different way. e.g. using AOL instead of internet explorer or internet explorer instead of AOL, etc.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:51pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by myslady

Is it possible for you to connect a different way. e.g. using AOL instead of internet explorer or internet explorer instead of AOL, etc.

Ok...I did not expect either of these suggestions to work...

I signed on to Internet Explorer - same message I received with Firefox...blah blah blah

I signed onto AOL and it worked!! I do not understand what the difference is...That has to mean it's my computer. I'm happy to have a way to access my site though!!!! It will kill me not figuring this out so I am still determined to figure out what went wrong but thank you so much for the suggestion - now I can check all the updates I did to my site and make sure that they work...

Tammi

myslady Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:25pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbroskoski

Quote:
Originally Posted by myslady

Ok...I did not expect either of these suggestions to work...

I appreciate your vote of confidence. icon_biggrin.gif But truthfully, I would probably feel the same way.

Quote:

I signed on to Internet Explorer - same message I received with Firefox...blah blah blah

I signed onto AOL and it worked!! I do not understand what the difference is...That has to mean it's my computer.

AOL was designed to meet all your needs for going online and gathering information. It works with dialup, dsl, boradband, etc.

I don't know much about Firefox so I can't help you there. icon_smile.gif

Internet Explorer (IE) only works once you have an existing connection to the internet.

Example: With dial up, if you click AOL and sign on, it will allow you to connect to the internet because it has a modem installed within the software. Now if you stay signed on to AOL you can then go to IE and it work and allow you to use it. Without AOL, IE probably won't work cause there is no modem available to connect it to the internet unless you have DSL or Broadband.

If you have DSL, Broadband, or a Wireless connection, IE works because you usually have an external modem hooked up that allows you to connect without having to go through another service such as AOL.

Since you still have the problem, have you tried calling/contacting Tech Support for your computer and for your internet provider and asking them about the error. They may be able to give you advice on how to resolve it.

Quote:

I'm happy to have a way to access my site though!!!! It will kill me not figuring this out so I am still determined to figure out what went wrong but thank you so much for the suggestion - now I can check all the updates I did to my site and make sure that they work...
Tammi

party.gif Im' glad it worked for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%