Need Help With Barbie Doll Cake

Decorating By phoufer Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 9:46pm by rosamatsas

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 12

I am making barbie cake. The customer wants it big so I used wonder mold pan for skirt and will be putting that on top of 2 8" rounds carved to make bigger skirt.

I am not sure how I should support this cake. With barbie doll stuck in the center how would I also put in any dowels? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

11 replies
Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 12

I haven't done this specifically, but here's my best guess. First, are you using a standard barbie doll or the little doll on a stick that comes with the wonder mold? Either way actually, I would think that adding dowels to the bototm layer cakes would not interfere with the placement of the doll in the top half of the cake. Barbie should not be any taller than the wonder mold pan alone, otherwise she wouldn't work for a regular molded cake. I would place dowels appropriately throughout the bottom 8" cakes & then place the wonder mold cake on top & insert your Barbie & I think everything will be fine. It should be no different that a regular multi-level stacked cake, this one just tapers on the top & has a lady shoved in the middle. icon_razz.gif

phoufer Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks for the tips. I was also thinking about putting the cakes on separate boards for easier cutting.

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 12

If you're going to have a 2-layer 8" round underneath the doll, then yes, the doll should be on it's own board. The 8" rounds will have the supports in them, the doll would not. You wouldn't need an additional board between the two 8" rounds. Good luck.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 12

I thought I heard somewhere that a full sized barbie from waist to toe is taller than the wonder mold cake. Be sure to check on that.

phoufer Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 12

I haven't measured yet but I plan to do that. I do have the doll that goes with the wonder mold pan just in case. Think I should have said I am stacking 2 8" cakes on top of each other then putting wonder mold shirt ontop of that. That is why I am not sure about the support for the cake.

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 12

Hi I have made a few of these cakes and if you use the wondermold and a 9" rounded pan the Wilton 3" it fits perfect and it makes the cake taller then you can put the card board on the bottom of the 9". Dowel the sheet cake and you are set no need for dowels in the wonder mold or 9" You can even put filling in between the wondermold and 9" and cut the 9" and fill that as well very easy. Just make sure you have a thicker cake. Hope this is helpful. icon_biggrin.gif

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 12

Sorry - I didn't catch that it was the actual doll vs. a pick. Yes, the doll will usually be longer. One way you can fix that is to cut a circle out of the center of the cardboard the doll is sitting on in about the size of a half dollar. That way when you stick her in, her feet can go down into the 8" cakes. HTH!

rosamatsas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosamatsas Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:11am
post #9 of 12

HI, I'm attempting a princess doll cake for my niece. Had a couple of questions and hop i can get some input.
I'm using a regular barbie doll. Do I wrap the doll in saran or foil?
And what about when cutting the cake. Could the doll fall out at any point?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:27am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosamatsas

HI, I'm attempting a princess doll cake for my niece. Had a couple of questions and hop i can get some input.
I'm using a regular barbie doll. Do I wrap the doll in saran or foil?
And what about when cutting the cake. Could the doll fall out at any point?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

For sanitary purposes I would (do) wrap the doll in saran wrap. When you cut the cake take the doll out first so that you don't have to worry about it falling.

jennym404 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym404 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:25pm
post #11 of 12

Hi...I wanted to do a frog using the wonder mold. I tried a box of chocolate fudge cake mix, but I wasn't too happy with the results. Does anyone have a good "firm" chocolate recipe? Thanks...Jen.

rosamatsas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosamatsas Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:46pm
post #12 of 12

Well first you can always check the Recipes database. There are a lot chocolate cake recipes. The one i used for my doll cake is as follows:

2 cup sugar
1 3/4 all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa (i use Hershey)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup veg. oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c. boiling water

heat oven 350. grease and flour using the cocoa powder whichever mold or pan your using.
combine dry ingredient and sift. add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. beat on med speed 2 minutes.
stir in boiling water
yes the batter will be thin. pour into pan(s)
i bake 2 9inch round about 30-35 minutes
i'm not sure how to adjust that for the wonder mold.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%