Looking For Frosting. Help!!

Decorating By Kim040508 Updated 15 Jan 2009 , 10:29pm by Kim040508

Kim040508 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim040508 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 11

I am really in need of some help here! I have spent some time in the recipe box but I have not been able to find a frosting recipe without powdered sugar, my son is allergic to corn and his 1st birthday is coming up. Does anyone have any ideas? Please help!!

Thanks, Kim

10 replies
scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 11

i found this on ASkjeeves.com

Resolved QuestionShow me another »
How do I make easy frosting without confectioners sugar and what are the ingredients?
I am making a cake for my B-day party and there was not enough frosting in the frosting tub and i cant go to the sore, so i was gonna make some but there was no confectioners sugar....
what r the ingreients and how do i make it?
10 months ago
Report Abuse
by Zazz Member since:
October 20, 2007
Total points:
1207 (Level 3)
Add to My Contacts

Block User

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
This uses regular sugar, and it has to be cooked. My mom used to make cooked frosting.

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 tablespoons flour
* 3/4 cup milk
* 3/4 cup butter
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon vanilla

PREPARATION:
In a saucepan add a small amount of the milk to flour then stir to make a smooth paste. Add remaining milk. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens. Cool.

Cream butter using medium speed of electric mixer.
Gradually add sugar and salt; beat well. Add cooled milk mixture. Beat until light and fluffy; add vanilla. Frosts a two layer cake.
10 months ago

let us know if you try it how it comes out...

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 11

Chocolate ganache. You can pour it while it's still warm or you can let it cool or chill it and then whip it and it will be fluffier and you can even pipe a little with it. Other than that I don't know of anything else. Maybe someone else knows something???

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 11

ok, found this one too...

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
Silky Vanilla Butter Frosting
This is not your usual butter-cream made with powdered sugar. Butter is beaten into a flour-thickened base to make an exquisitely light and creamy frosting. Not gaggy sweet like those made with powdered sugar, but sweet enough to be the perfect compliment for a cake. Make sure the base is completely cooled before beating in the butter. I added in 15 minutes cooling time, but it will vary depending on conditons.
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups milk
1 cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 1/4 cups

1. In 2-quart saucepan, thoroughly combine sugar and flour.
2. With wire whisk, gradually stir in milk until smooth.
3. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture has thickened and boils.
4. Reduce heat to low; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Remove from heat and cool completely.
6. In medium bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter until light and fluffy.
7. Gradually beat in milk mixture; beat in vanilla
2 years ago

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 11

there is a recipe on all recipes dot com titled sturdy whipped cream frosting. it does call for 1/2 granulated sugar so i don't know if he's able to have that or not. i recently used this recipe and loved it.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 11

Couldn't you use the meringue buttercreams?

egg whites
granulated sugar
butter
flavoring

(some powdered sugars do not contain the cornstarch additive)

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 11

I have a chocolate "fudge type" recipe that's made without powdered sugar. However, it does have an egg....do eggs bother your son?

Kim040508 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 11

all4cake, thank you, for the youtube site. I really liked that and will for sure try it! jjkarm, No, eggs do not bother him just anything that contains corn. I would also like to try your recipe if you're willing to share. scoutmama and crystalina, I am also going to try the ones that you have suggested also. I'll see which one he likes the best. I should be able to do all of those before March, right?

Thanks to all of you!!
Kim

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:31pm
post #9 of 11

You could use a food processor to make your own powdered sugar from granulated. I've had to do that in a pinch before, I've never had to do a large quantity though; but it's an idea!

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:33pm
post #10 of 11

Here you go Kim....

One Minute Chocolate Frosting

1C granulated sugar
3T cream or milk
2 squares baking chocolate
1 egg
1/8t salt
2T butter
1t vanilla
Combine all ingredients except butter and vanilla in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat until melted, and boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat then add butter and vanilla. Beat with hand mixer until it reaches desired frosting consistency.

I usually double this recipe for a 9x13" or 8" round cake.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

Kim040508 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 10:29pm
post #11 of 11

I never thought about the food processor idea, good one! thank you jjkarm I'll try it out.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%