Decorating A Carrot Cake

Decorating By shazp4 Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 4:38am by shazp4

shazp4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shazp4 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all,

Am looking at decorating a carrot cake with royal icing, but wondering what to put under it to make the cake smooth (am convinced almond icing will be too strong in flavour to be successful). I have read about buttercream, but whenever I look at recipes it has ingredients I dont know of ... I am in Australia so am not sure what you mean by things like 'chrisco' or 'shortening'. Can anyone help?

Shaz princess.gif

8 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 9

crisco and shortening are just white fat. it should be next to the butter at the supermarket.
marzipan and carrot cake might work - you do put nuts in some mixes, so maybe it would be ok? maybe you could mix up some thicker RI to fill any obvious holes, and smooth it out. if you level the top, hopefully that would make life easier.
xx

Imapirate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Imapirate Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 9

You should be able to substitute unsalted butter for any of the shortening called for. It just makes things more expensive. It will be a pretty sweet cake with buttercream and royal icing. If you mix a little orange zest into the buttercream it will help with the sweetness a bit (and make things more delicious).

shazp4 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:28am
post #4 of 9

Thanks for your help and suggestions - gives me something to work with!

icon_biggrin.gif

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:52am
post #5 of 9

You could also substitute some cream cheese for part of the butter/fat. Personally, I use all butter in my buttercream. I just like the taste better... icon_biggrin.gif

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:01am
post #6 of 9

Carrot cake is my absolute favorite and IMO it MUST be made with cream cheese icing. It's like chocolate and peanut butter, a combo made in heaven! icon_biggrin.gif

bakerchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerchick Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 8:47am
post #7 of 9

Hi Shazp4

I've also asked the exact same questions in previous forums. I'm in Qld.

here is the help i've gotten for BC using all aussie ingredients. It works great and you actually can't taste the copha at all!! i was really surprised at that.

This is nicolevoorhout recipe and she's in Sydney.

By the way meringue powder is found in those pavlova egg magic eggs, you'll find them in the jelly and instant pudding isles and half a batch makes heaps but keeps forever in the fridge too.

OK, these are the measurements I use for a half batch.

250g butter
125g copha
1 tablespoon vanilla
750g icing sugar (approx, sifted)
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tablespoon meringue powder.

good luck! thumbs_up.gif
bakerchick

shazp4 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 9:18am
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the suggestion of cream cheese - must admit it is a fav of mine with carrot cake!

Appreciate the recipe bakerchick, glad to know it lasts for ages too! (and yes, I know the pav eggs you are talking about) Nice to know there are other Aussies on here thumbs_up.gif

Shaz princess.gif

shazp4 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:38am
post #9 of 9

Hey Bakerchick

Used the recipe you posted, but as per usual didnt follow the recipe exactly! I replaced the copha with cream cheese (as this was carrot cake) and it tasted wonderful!

Appreciate your help!! thumbs_up.gif

Shaz princess.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%