How Much Cake Per Layer?

Business By cakesbydina Updated 16 Jan 2009 , 12:32am by indydebi

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:24am
post #1 of 5

I doctor cake mixes for all my cakes and price per serving. My question is, when the serving chart says 2 layers in a 2" pan. Am I needing to bake two cakes in that pan to be two layers or am I baking one cake in the pan and splitting it to be two layers. I want my cakes to look full and tall but I am not sure what the standard height is or if I am giving enough cake. I have just been splitting it. Does this make sense?

4 replies
jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:52am
post #2 of 5

2 layers means 2 cakes bakes in the pan. I have at least 2 pans of each size so I can bake them at the same time. The standard height for a tier is 4 inches so 2- 2 inch cakes stacked. When you slice a layer it is called torting. On wedding cakes, I tort each layer so a tier is cake, filling, cake, filling cake filling, cake.

Jibbies

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:57am
post #3 of 5

thanks so much. I almost just ripped off all my upcoming clients. I am new, can you tell? I will make note of this nad never make that mistake again. So 4 inches tall per cake. That's a lot of cake.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 5

This is for a layer or tiered cake, not a sheet cake. Those are usually only one 2" layer. But you prolly knew that already. LOL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 12:32am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4littlewops

So 4 inches tall per cake. That's a lot of cake.

It's a normal 2-layer cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%