White Cake Issue

Decorating By evasmama Updated 18 Jan 2009 , 2:23am by indydebi

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 4:03am
post #1 of 5

I bake for family and friends only (so far). I use a recipe for white cake from America's Test Kitchen. It's always been awesome when it comes to taste and texture, and I haven't found another one to match it.

However, with this and other white cake recipes, I have one problem: crusts. The edges of the cake are often too crusty and sometimes chewy. Icing does not seem to help unless the cake is 3 days old and it has had time to seep in.

Is this a problem with my recipe, or with white cakes in general because of the lack of yolks?

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 5:03am
post #2 of 5

How are you preparing the pan? Sometimes too much grease in the pan can effect it.
What temp are you baking at? Too hot an oven can cause what you describe.
Are you wrapping your pans w/wet stripes? This will slow down the baking of the edges so the cake bakes much more evenly.
Are you over baking? Might be the problem.
Have you tried fzing the cakes? This makes moisture in the cake even out & usually gets rid of hard, crusty edges.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 5:08am
post #3 of 5

I add a couple yolks to mine and it still stays white.

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

How are you preparing the pan? Sometimes too much grease in the pan can effect it.

I use Pam baking spray. It was recommended by ATK as being better than individual buttering and flouring steps.

Quote:
Quote:

What temp are you baking at? Too hot an oven can cause what you describe.

350º. My oven never runs hot. In fact, it usually runs a little cool, and takes a good half hour of preheating to get up to temperature.

Quote:
Quote:

Are you wrapping your pans w/wet stripes? This will slow down the baking of the edges so the cake bakes much more evenly.

No. Never tried them.

Quote:
Quote:

Are you over baking? Might be the problem.

I don't think so. I'm waiting until the edges pull from the pan's sides. Any time before that, a tester does not come out clean.

Quote:
Quote:

Have you tried fzing the cakes? This makes moisture in the cake even out & usually gets rid of hard, crusty edges.

No, I haven't. How long would you freeze them for?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 2:23am
post #5 of 5

HEre's what works for me:

I never use Pam spray. It makes my cake sides/edge hard and crispy.

I bake at 325 (in home oven) and 275 in shop convection oven.

I always (!) use baking strips to slow down the baking of the outer edges of the cake so they don't get hard and crispy before the center is done.

I always freeze cakes at least a few hours to 3 weeks . Very moist. And trimming any hard corners/edges is easy when the cake is frozen or partially frozen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%