Can Anyone Recommend A Cake Book

Decorating By butrcup Updated 17 Aug 2005 , 6:23am by BigEasyCakes

butrcup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butrcup Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 9

Hi there-
Can anyone recommend a cake book for a newbie? I'm more interested in BC than fondant and have been looking around the internet to buy some books-who better to recommend than those who know?!
I've bought a few of the Wilton year books...could someone please give me some pointers before I spend money on books that are either way over my head or filled with fondant? Huge thanks!

8 replies
irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 9

The Cake Mix Doctor is a good one, I purchased mine at Wal-Marticon_smile.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 9

I recommend The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum. My first and it's still my "bible" for some things. I'm looking to get some more books also.

http://www.thecakebible.com/index2.html

Niki027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki027 Posted 16 Aug 2005 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 9

Here is a list of some of the popular books.

The Whimsical Bakehouse might be the book for you.

Quote:
Quote:

Kaye and Liv believe that a cake should taste as good as it looks, so they skip esoteric (and inedible) decorations in favor of simple buttercream, flavored whipped cream, and tinted candymakers chocolate, covering their luscious cakes with amusing designs and gorgeous color that are easy to make and delicious to eat. The cakes themselves are no less enticing, pairing old-fashioned favorites like Banana Cake and Spice Cake with sumptuous fillings such as French Custard and Chocolate Mousse. Simple step-by-step lessons, illustrated with photographs, explain how to re-create Livs charming chocolate designs, from the bright polka dots that shine against dark chocolate glaze to the shimmering stars that adorn the enchanting Starry Night. Templates for the delightful designs allow you to adapt these techniques to create your own unique decorations.

[/quote]

butrcup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butrcup Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 2:05am
post #5 of 9

Geez, there are so many...I'm going to get the Whimsical Bakehouse, but I have a feeling I'm going to smell burning plastic before this is done, Mastercard plastic to be specific-haha-thanks for the help!

Rainbow_Moon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainbow_Moon Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 2:32am
post #6 of 9

i have found a ton of books at my local library...i think i renewed the last batch a few times so had them for quite a long time! i also found a (extremely cheesy!) old cake decorating video from sher-a-craft.
i also keep an eye out at my local goodwill and savers thrift stores.

jjandascog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandascog Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 5:37am
post #7 of 9

I just got the Wilton Encyclopedias I, II & III off of Ebay and they are great. They show a lot of examples of what you can do with all of the tubes and lots of flowers (one has every state flower). I couldn't put them down.

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 5:58am
post #8 of 9

You should check out overstock.com for cake books... They usually have a pretty good selection and you only pay $1 for shipping on your entire order!! icon_lol.gif

BigEasyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigEasyCakes Posted 17 Aug 2005 , 6:23am
post #9 of 9

The "Whimsicle Bakehouse" is my choice. As well as the "Cake-Mix Doctor".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%