Swiss Meringue Buttercream Question

Decorating By BJ Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 7:55pm by BJ

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 8

I'm going to try and make SM Buttercream for the first time this weekend and I have a question - when adding the slices of butter to the cooled egg white/sugar mixture - is the butter cold (right out of the fridge) cold? icon_confused.gif

7 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 8

no, room temp. and it is added to the stiff peaked egg whites

sheeza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheeza Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 8

i normally add room temp butter . soft not melting . cold butter i think would not mix well . thats how i do it . hth.

BJ Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks. By the sounds of it - your help was crucial to this coming out decent - Thanks again. thumbs_up.gif

Naturepixie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naturepixie Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 8

Good Luck!!!

I've tried to make this 2 twice and followed the recipe to a T and it didn't work out either time. I have no idea where it went wrong. icon_sad.gif I don't think I'll ever try to make it again. I bet it taste really good too.

BJ Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 8

Well, I'll have a batch of my old stand by (shortening buttercream - yuk) waiting in the wing if it doesn't come out. Not a cake by request - just wanted to try and see if I can make it. I hate the sweetness of the Wilton recipe (shortening, conf. sugar, etc.). Funny, since that's the icing I get the most requests for - I personally like a nice light whipped icing but that's what makes the world go round.....differences. Wish me luck.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 8

BJ - if you want to try another great recipe for BC (not SMBC) try SeriouCakes recipe:

The recipe:
22 tbs salted butter, softened (about 3 sticks)
2/3 c. Crisco shortening
5-7 tbs heavy cream
2 tsp clear vanilla
2 lbs powdered sugar (about 8 cups)
1-3 tbs corn syrup
Yum! Something I didn't put in the video-you may need more or less liquid depending on the weather. Very hot and humid out-add less cream, very dry-add more. And if you're wondering about the corn syrup, it doesn't add to the sweetness of the frosting but it does add elasticity to help keep the frosting from cracking and adds a nice 'gleam' to the cake.

here is a link for how she makes it:

it super good, not too sweet - def not a sweet as the wilton recipe.

Good luck with you SMBC, it is a wonderfully tasting frosting but it is tempermental.

BJ Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 8

Sounds good. I'm always willing to give any new recipe a try. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%