Easiest Method To Tort, Fill & Stack An 11X15 Sheet Cake

Decorating By formerbuckeye Updated 16 Jan 2009 , 1:46am by AnitaK

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 12

I am making a cake this weekend that is two 11"x15" layers. Each layer will be torted and filled - one with lemon curd, the other with raspberry filling and BC between the two layers. With a cake this size, what do you use to lift off the torted pieces and then put them back together without messing up the filling or having the cakes crack? I have used cake boards, but sometimes the cakes don't want to slide off and it makes a mess in the filling!

Thanks

11 replies
Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 1:51am
post #2 of 12

Keep the cake cold when doing this, and if you bake on parchment, leave it on till I say so.

Put the first LEVEL cake on the cake board upside down. Take a piece of dental floss and use that to cut the cake for the torte. It's cold and it has the paper on it, so it should be easy to move onto a cake board. Torte it... replace the top, then remove the paper. Add the Buttercream filling, Torte the cake BEFORE repeating all over again. As long as the cake is cool and the Parchment is holding it together you shouldn't have any problems at all!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 2:52am
post #3 of 12

EASIEST way it to not torte... but to bake more thinner layers.

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:08am
post #4 of 12

I persnally like baking tinner layers. Torting makes me nervous, I'm afraid of breakage. I have done it both ways and It is just safer for me to bake thinner layers....

To each his own. There is no wrong way, it's just a preference.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:17am
post #5 of 12

Leave the parchment paper on. If you don't normally use parchment, use it this time. Level both layers, then torte and do not remove until you fill

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:39am
post #6 of 12

I'd bake thin, wrap, freeze.
THEN I'd do my filling, stacking etc. while frozen. Now let thaw. They are thin, won't take long. This method allows easy stacking without cracking.

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:15am
post #7 of 12

What do you mean by "bake thin"? Do you use cookie sheets? (Sorry, don't mean to butt in). icon_biggrin.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 12:12pm
post #8 of 12

Here is a link that I found few months ago. Hope it helps,

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/videos/filling_a_sheet_cake.aspx

thumbs_up.gif

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 5:16pm
post #9 of 12

Yes, and I usually turn my oven down some in order to keep it from baking to hot or fast as well. This seems to keep it from burning on the corners.

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:52pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks everyone. Lots of great ideas.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 1:35am
post #11 of 12

I take a pc. of stiff cardboard larger than the cake, and cover it in contact paper. You can easily zip it between the cut layers, do it fast. Fill ect, then slide the layer back on the other one. The contact paper makes it slide back quite easily.

HTH!

Jen icon_smile.gif

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 1:46am
post #12 of 12

I use a thin, flexible cutting board/sheet to slide between the torted layers to separate and then replace. Works fine.
The idea of doing it while frozen sounds like it would work well too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%