What Are You Using To Get The Cake Out Of The Pan?

Decorating By MammaViv Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 9:30pm by bashini

MammaViv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MammaViv Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 34

I find myself constantly replacing my cake pans because they get so scratched up. Why? Because I use a knife ie a dinner knife for example, to get the cake out of the pan. I don't know any better way to get the cake out in one piece.

Is there a better way so that I dont have to use so much money just buying cake pans all the time?

tips pls.....

33 replies
BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 34

I have two suggestions (which I use too):

1) I coat my pans with a Pan Grease made by CK. I get this from my cake decorating store. The cake just pops out! I don't have to flour my pans.

2) I line my pans with parchment or wax paper on the bottom and for my square pans: bottom and up the sides.

Jennifer Dontz (I maybe spelling this worng) has a DVD which show a unique way she line her pans so she seldom washes them. I get her technique it better with the square pans.

Hope this helps because good cake pans are not cheap.

Cheers!

Jeannie

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 34

iv never had to use a knife to get my cake's out of the pan,they just slide right out when i turn them over onto the counter or a board. i always use my spray, (bakers joy,pam,ect.) before i put my batter in the pan, and ive never had a problem with my cakes sticking.

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 34

Like BREN28, I use a spray. Right now I'm using Bakers Joy because I can no longer find the Crisco with Flour in my area. I've also used Wiltons Pan Release Spray and had great results. I know bakers that swear by greasing and flouring, but that's always been really messing for me and I don't have the results that they do and I don't like the flour residue that is sometimes left. I think it's all a personal preference. Also, flip your cakes out pretty quickly after they come out of the oven. If you let them sit in the pan to cool, whatever grease you've used will set up causing your cake to stick. If this happens, pop it back in the oven for a minute to "melt" the grease and should pop right out.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 34

I grease pans and put parchment on bottom and around sides. Cakes come right out and the sides are really nice and smooth and I get a much better rise on my cakes.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 34

I use wax paper (it's soo much cheaper than parchment) on the bottoms of my pans, then spray with any non stick spray. I have the same pans that I have used for many, many years, and they still look new.

unigus74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unigus74 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:07pm
post #7 of 34

I use Pam for baking. It is a spray with flour in it. works great. Another tip- don't let your cake get totally cold in the pan- remove it while it is cool but still a little warm. Hope that makes sence.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 34

I use wax paper (it's soo much cheaper than parchment) on the bottoms of my pans, then spray with any non stick spray. I have the same pans that I have used for many, many years, and they still look new.

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:08pm
post #9 of 34

I use the recipe (found on this site) for homemade pan release:
1 cup oil
1 cup flour
1 cup shortening
Mix well and use a pastry brush to coat your pan. I just store the extra in a jar and keep in the pantry.

After baking let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes then flip over onto a cake rack. I never have ANY cakes sticking to the pan and do not have to use a knife to remove the cake from the pan.

Good luck!

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:09pm
post #10 of 34

I use parchment paper in the bottom and just spray the sides...works great.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:09pm
post #11 of 34

I spray the sides with either Baker's Joy or Crisco spray for baking then line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper. I never have an issue with it sticking or needing a knife or any other object to release the cake. They dump beautifully.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:10pm
post #12 of 34

I spray my pans (regular old Wilton pans) with non-stick - either Pam or Crisco - and put parchment on the bottom. Then if the sides stick just a bit - which they hardly ever do - just run a butter knife around the sides and they plop right out.

Parchment is the key for bottoms that don't stick! Cut it to fit the bottom of your pan and place it right down over the non-stick spray. You can spray it if you want, but I never do. I like that it sticks to the bottom of my cakes after I de-pan, because I can handle them from the bottom without my hands getting on the actual cake. When it's time to build the cake, just peel off the parchment and you have a nice flat surface, which I always use as my top surface.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:10pm
post #13 of 34

Pan spray-parchment on bottom only- pan spray lightly on parchment. I let my cakes cool completely in their pans too.

MammaViv Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:13pm
post #14 of 34

thanks for the input.

hmmm....my cakes NEVER slide out even with spray or buttered/floured. What kind of pan brands are you using to bake?

Do you spray the pans lightly or 'excessively' with the spray?

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:15pm
post #15 of 34

I use the home-made cake release (equal amounts of flour, veg oil, & crisco). The cakes pop right out of the pans every time. I love that I can make as much or as little as I want!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:17pm
post #16 of 34

I spray with Pam...and line with wax paper. I also turn out right from the oven, using a large kitchen towel to flip. If the sides do stick slightly, use a plastic knife and you won't have any scratched.

kweenofengland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:18pm
post #17 of 34

I swear by non-stick spray on sides and bottom and then parchment paper in the bottom. it is a pain to me to have to constantly cut the parchment paper to fit the pan, but it is a 'no fail' way of getting the cake out. I have had 0 problems after learning this technique. The cake comes out white instead of brown on the bottoms and sides. I have used wax paper once and the cake seemed to be darker than with parchment. also, it smelled like something was burning. Parchment is more expensive, but I stick to it! no pund intended there! good luck!

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:18pm
post #18 of 34

i also use the pam for baking and have never had a cake stick. they are all winton pans. don't spray too much in the pan, or it will bubble up and make the cake weird in some spots. what i do is turn my pans over onto the top of my stove with parchment paper and then press the pan down with something heavy (to get rid of the dome), then i just lift the pan off when the cake is cooled. works every time! good luck!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:22pm
post #19 of 34

Crisco w/flour spray..... period. I've tried every method, this spray works the best for me. Never have to use parchment paper either. Take the cake out right away, or let it cool completely... doesn't matter.. it never sticks...

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:24pm
post #20 of 34

I spray all pans with any floured spray in a can for baking (Pam with flour) and have never had a problem, unless I leave the cake in the pan for too long. I take if out after about 15 min. and flip onto a cooling rack.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:29pm
post #21 of 34

I use Mirro, Chilton, Wilton, No Name, Magic Line, Fat Daddio's, aluminum disposables with the same results. I wouldn't say excessively....spray lightly (just enough that the parchment adheres) then spray all over lightly just to coat the pan...not to have it dripping.

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:31pm
post #22 of 34

I am completely old fashioned on this. I coat pans with solid veg shortening and dust with flour. Tried and true. Never have a problem with getting a cake to come out of the pan..................unless it's left in the pan too long, and then I turn the oven back, bring up to temp, put cake back in over just long enough to heat up the pan (this melts the shortening), remove pan from oven and cake pops out of the pan with no problem.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:39pm
post #23 of 34

bakers joy nonstick w/ flour spray.

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 4:44pm
post #24 of 34

I've always used the traditional crisco then flour. Never yet to have one not come out. I do like the idea becklynn has I am going to make some of that up just to save the process of doing both. Thanks for sharing and good luck!

Chippi

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 5:30pm
post #25 of 34

Good quality pans like MagicLine and Pam with Flour.

MammaViv Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:22pm
post #26 of 34

Thank you for all the useful feedback. I'll just have to try these good suggestions.

The beauty of this forum..................

mandice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandice Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:35pm
post #27 of 34

i used to always always ALWAYS do the crisco + dusted flour and it always worked for me.. one day wilton's cake release was on sale (i'd never used this before because i couldn't bother to spend the money) and i've never looked back since then because it has yet to fail me.

however, now that you guys have posted your homemade cake release, i'm definitely going to try that method too icon_biggrin.gif

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:38pm
post #28 of 34

I use Wilton Cake Release. I get mine at Michael's. It works great, has never failed me and I never have to use parchment paper.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:38pm
post #29 of 34

As a little girl before I started baking my mother would make my job greasing the cake pans.........with Criso, always. I now use Pam just because it is a little easier but I have to admit...........................mother does know best. Crisco has never made a cake stick to the pan, they just flop right out. Pam is good but have had trouble in the past. I say try Crsico, grease liberally and your cakes will just fall out. HTH

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:39pm
post #30 of 34

I use the Wilton's cake release...never had a problem. I just spread it around using a pastry brush. Use Wilton pans....never had a problem. Take them out and let them cool IN the pan on a rack for about 10-15 min. and then flip them right out onto the cooling rack. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%